Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does using Apple TV require Mac Laptop to be on?

OK, here's my situation, and bear with me, because this is complicated and not easy for me to understand...

So I'm getting rid of silly satellite TV. I pay way too much for a ton of stuff I don't watch, and I've decided to just buy what I really love on iTunes.
I have a Macbook Pro Laptop, but it's older, and I do NOT want to use it any more for watching TV show-I want to save it for when I need to do graphics work, etc.
I live in the boonies and have satellite internet, (and wi-fi) which means I have limited bandwidth and limited monthly GB allowance. So for example, I can't really watch Netflix streaming on my laptop because even one hour a day of shows and I would burn through my monthly allowance in two weeks! And it gets choppy and slow if I try to watch something along with everyone else in rural America at 9pm. (And it ain't cheap!)

So what I need to know is:
Are the shows you watch on Apple TV streaming from Broadband or downloaded into the Apple TV box first and watched later?

Does the Laptop have to be ON and or Connected? (I can connect it to my TV now, but like I said, I want to save it for more important things)...

Is there a monthly fee?

Thanks!!

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 5:03 PM

Apple TV: Broadband Internet connection required to playback iTunes Store content

Apple TV: What You Need

The laptop does not need to be on to use Apple TV.

"which means I have limited bandwidth and limited monthly GB allowance."

That may not work with an Apple TV.

What you can do is purchase an Apple TV. If it doesn't work out for you, "you have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it." > Apple Help - Returns and Refund - Apple Store (U.S.)

Instructions for returning a product at that link also: See: "How to return an item".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2014 5:03 PM in response to IsaYonah

Apple TV: Broadband Internet connection required to playback iTunes Store content

Apple TV: What You Need

The laptop does not need to be on to use Apple TV.

"which means I have limited bandwidth and limited monthly GB allowance."

That may not work with an Apple TV.

What you can do is purchase an Apple TV. If it doesn't work out for you, "you have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it." > Apple Help - Returns and Refund - Apple Store (U.S.)

Instructions for returning a product at that link also: See: "How to return an item".

Aug 23, 2014 5:20 PM in response to IsaYonah

The Apple TV has no storage, the small flash drive is used to cache streamed media and temporarily have photos for the screensaver. HD streaming requires a lot of bandwidth (approx 2GB/hr), the data is the same regardless of if it is streamed, downloaded or viewed on a particular device.

The laptop doesn't need to be on unless you are using home sharing to access your local iTunes library.

There is no monthly fee for the Apple TV itself, but rather certain services, and some require connection to a cable provider

Aug 23, 2014 7:07 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks everyone,

Yeah, I figured it would be the SPEED that would get me, and probably the GB too. I think I will just buy things on my laptop, save to a small external drive then use hubby's computer to play them. My DVD player/recorder doesn't really work right...
Yeah, ***** to be out here in the wilderness with limited internet :/

Thanks!

Does using Apple TV require Mac Laptop to be on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.