Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I pair the new remote when I no longer have the original to unpaid?

I'm unable to pair my new remote and don't have the original one to unpair first.

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 6:15 PM

1 reply

Aug 26, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Sylvestine

Hi Sylvestine,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you want to pair a new remote with your Apple TV. The article linked below will walk you through unpairing the Apple TV with the old remote, so you can pair it with the new remote.

Apple TV: Pairing and unpairing the Apple Remote

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

How do I unpair my Apple TV from a remote

You can use any Apple Remote to unpair Apple TV from a remote. If you lose the Apple Remote that you paired with Apple TV, a replacement remote won't work until you unpair Apple TV from the lost remote. If your Apple TV status light (LED) blinks 3 times in quick succession when you press keys on the remote but fails to respond on-screen, try these steps to unpair your remote:

• On an aluminum Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Left buttons for 6 seconds.
  • On an earlier, white Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Previous/Rewind buttons for 6 seconds.

You can also use these steps:

1. Choose Settings > General > Remotes from the Apple TV main menu.
  2. Choose Unpair Apple Remote.

When you’ve successfully unpaired a remote, Apple TV displays a broken chainlink symbol () above an icon of a remote. You can now pair Apple TV with a different remote.

I hope this helps.

-Jason

How do I pair the new remote when I no longer have the original to unpaid?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.