Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages - Contextual Menu Synonym Suggestions - So Simple, Still Missing.

There are a couple of threads regarding this issue, but I see that most of them are locked, and so far I have not been able to find a satisfactory solution. I suspect this is because there is no solution, yet, and with this post I am hoping to prompt someone to develop an adequate solution, or point me in the right direction plugin-wise.

The problem: No drop down contextual menu synonym suggestions in Pages.

Before everyone hops on to tell me how to OPEN the dictionary / thesaurus application through the contextual drop down menu in Pages, I just want to let you know: I am aware. This is inadequate on several levels.

I and those people who have posted before, but remain unsatisfied, are not looking for a way to open another program, take the time to sort out irrelevant information, have to re-type the word, get or read through all the different definitions of the word. etc. etc. What is wanted is an exact replica (or better) of the Microsoft word contextual drop down menu, which is clearly superior. This menu simply has the option of "synonyms >" and then lists many synonyms in an adjacent drop-down menu. Should you want to change the word you've selected to a different more appropriate word, you simply select the word you want and it replaces the original. Simple, slick, uncomplicated, and indispensable.

Now, I am uncertain if this sort of feature has a copyright, and that would be the reason Apple has not included this feature, nor any third parties built some sort of plugin that will do this, but it is a feature without which making a switch to Pages as a main word processing program is not possible, which sadden's me.

Let me be clear, I am only interested in a solution that mimics the MS Word contextual menu synonym suggestion feature, or somehow improves upon it (if possible). Wasting time trudging through the ponderous optionsPages currently offers is unnecessarily tedious. I hope an alternative feature for Pages is either out there, or will be soon. Thank you for your time.

Jonner.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), iTunes

Posted on Aug 23, 2014 11:02 PM

7 replies

Aug 24, 2014 7:17 AM in response to jonnerjonner

Position your mouse pointer over the word whose synonym you seek. From the keyboard, press control + command + d. From the Trackpad, tap three fingers down simultaneously for the same result shown below. You will find synonyms on the resultant pop up panel. Otherwise, you can use Apple's Pages feedback. There are no Apple employees here so asking for unsupported or new product features is best directed to the preceding link. Click on the image to enlarge.

User uploaded file

If you want the MS Word synonym functionality, then why not use Word in Office for Mac 2011? Pages has never been, nor will it ever be a MS Word clone. The latest LibreOffice has a right-click, contextual synonym menu entry. Unlike Pages, LibreOffice was written to be a Word replacement, and has mirrored familiar functionality.

User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2014 9:46 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your reply. I'm not looking for Pages to be a MS Word clone, but I do think a feature as simple as this should be included in any program designed for word processing. Just my opinion. Not sure what you mean by the "no Apple employees here," except that maybe you mean no one who reads these forums will offer me an "official" reply. I am ambivalent about that.

I was hoping someone would have a suggestion for an add-on or plug-in for Pages that mimics that functionality, because I like Apple and wish I could explore the possibility of trying Pages out to see if I would want to use it instead of MS Word. I am not expecting Apple or anyone else to jump when I say, just expressing that desire.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jonner

Aug 31, 2014 5:43 AM in response to jonnerjonner

You can count the plug-ins on two, maybe three fingers that work for Pages (any version). Contextual menu synonym functionality is not among them. If you truly need this functionality, then I would advise remaining with MS Word. Whether you believe that any worthwhile word-processing application should have this synonym menu capability or not, it has never been in any version of Pages over the last (near) decade.

This is a site hosted for Apple, but respondents to your post are not Apple employees, or sub-contractors. International Mac users volunteer their time to answer questions in the community. Apple does not share its product, or business planning with us, so there will never be an official answer from Apple in these posts. I gave you the link to communicate directly with Apple in my previous response. Tell them you want contextual menu synonym capability in Pages. Just don't expect them to respond, or incorporate your suggestion into any future product revision.

Aug 31, 2014 6:32 PM in response to VikingOSX

So, thank you for letting me know about the plug-in situation with Pages. That is to bad. Maybe someone who is interested will see this post and decide to develop a plug-in with this feature! That would be sweet. As I've said, I am planning to stay with MS Word, so your advising me to do so is a bit vestigial. You do follow up with information that clarifies my point by framing just how long Pages has gone without such an obviously useful feature, so thanks for the assist. :-)

I managed to find the direct feedback link all by my own self quite a while ago, and have utilized that excellent feature, I'm sorry I didn't relate this information in my prior reply. As far as your statements about my expectations about Apple responding at all, or incorporating my suggestion into future product revisions, well, as you have taken so much time and trouble to let me know exactly how unconnected you are from them, how can you expect me to believe you'd actually know anything about it? I'll leave it up to fate. Meanwhile, you've done your duty as an International Mac Using Volunteer. I really was not under the impression that Apple consulted with any users on this forum. I understand that the tone of my original post had an "I want to be persuasive" vibe. I didn't put much thought into the nature or purpose of these forums, but was just finding a place to vent. I find it a little hard to believe that no Apple employees ever read these forums, and that nothing that is said here ever actually makes its way into their thoughts, one way or another, but I understand, since I have such incomplete knowledge of the nature of these forums (after all, I am only a "level 1"), that I have erred. I get the overall feeling that you feel my post is irrelevant, or obnoxious, or both, and I am sorry if I mis-posted. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to it despite this, but they've really sort of been "non-response-responses," haven't they? Sometimes thats the only type of response a person deserves, or can expect though. So, thank you again, anyways.

Aug 31, 2014 7:44 PM in response to jonnerjonner

What do they say about assuming?

As a lifelong volunteer I've sort of got used to the insistent stand byers who are never satisfied with the "inadequate*" service.

I suppose if you don't charge for your services you should expect the contempt you so often get.

Peter

* Because it doesn't tell them what they want to hear.

btw The words are "too" and "you're".

Jul 31, 2015 10:59 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807,

What are you talking about? I tried to be clear with what I was talking about, you could at least take the time to return the favor, if you're going to attempt to make me feel bad or whatever your objective was (it certainly had nothing to do with my query).

I admitted I hadn't considered where I was posting, and so had probably not written a very well thought out expression of what I was feeling. So now I'm an ***, apparently, well, no new information there. I was snarky, and in a bad mood. Maybe you felt that I should have been grateful for someone pointing out exactly how useless they think my post was, or completely ignoring my request to not talk about things that are "kind of" like what I was asking about.

I'm not sure what services you are bemoaning getting contempt for, but I don't even see a post from you above, so if you feel I was speaking to you, it does not sound like my issue. I guess you feel I was contemptuous - I wasn't trying to be subtle!

I am sorry my misuse of "to" instead of "too" bothered you. I was looking for the "your" you believe should be "you're," but I couldn't find it (unless it was where I said "...so your advising me to do so..." which may have been better written "so your advice to me to do so..."), so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I was in turn rather impressed with your "stand byers" (no, that is not intended contemptuously). However, I'd like to say that I don't even have an opinion on whether or not Pages may or may not be "adequate" as I have been pretty blunt about my not using it until it has the synonym functionality I am talking about.

Now about what I had posted here, and was curious about, and so wrote out my thoughts to hopefully connect with people who might find my question at least a little interesting, I have discovered that the contextual menu function I am talking about is a windows-wide contextual menu, so I thought maybe there is some sort of patent thing there? I guess I'll have to comb the "nerds who like to keep track of really abstract patents" forums...

Oh, and there is another post on some forum somewhere about web development contextual menu functionality in OS X, and the service/applescripts the guy was requesting are now in the keyboard preferences/services tab. Pretty cool. Maybe there would be hope for a system-wide contextual menu to be made to do the same thing that the windows synonym one does. Where would I find a "how to build your own contextual menu for mac os x" forum?

Just kidding, I don't know you guys well enough for that.

To be clear, I am sorry if I hurt anyones feelings; wasn't trying to (too?). I really don't care if I make grammatical mistakes (although I get down with that pettiness myself, I suppose), as long as people can understand what I'm talking about, and most importantly, reply to what I'm talking about, not everything but.

Sincerely, I hope you all have (are having) a great day.

ps. btw, I am curious if the grammatically correct way to say that would be "...standers by..." :-) I had to edit the very first "you're" in this post... sheesh.

Pages - Contextual Menu Synonym Suggestions - So Simple, Still Missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.