Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Loop OS X

Hi there,

I have a iMac running OS X that appears to have a login loop as when the password is entered it just reverts to the login screen. Not too sure what to do, as I have tried to access the disk utility and try to reinstall the OS X software using Command + R upon startup but that did ****. I also tried going into single user mode using suggestions from this forum and others but got no where. I have the installation disk for the iMac but can't access it as I can't login (is there a way to load it from single user mode?). There are 4 other login accounts on the computer but each one encounters the same problem. No 'essential' personal files, I think, is on any account so it isn't a massive problem if they are erased...

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can offer to give as I am completely stuck...

Thanks for your help,

Cameron

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iTouch 3g OS 4.1, iMac 10.6.4

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 6:52 AM

1 reply

Aug 24, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Cameron.Webb

Depending on the cause, the following might fix it.

If you follow the directions here and are sure to enter all of this EXACTLY as it appears here, you may be able to solve this problem. Be very careful to note the spaces or lack of in the commands which you will enter.

You will first need to boot into single user mode, which will bring you to a scary looking text only screen. Don't be frightened.

To do this, startup holding the Cmd-S keys together. At the entry which shows root# enter the following exactly. Write it down now, since you won't be able to copy/paste. Pay attention to case and spaces. Everything is lower case. The only spaces are between /sbin/mount and -uw, between -uw and / and between rm and /var/audit/current

Type in

/sbin/mount -uw /

Hit return and then at the next root# prompt, type in

rm /var/audit/current

And hit return

NOTE, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: the only space in the above command is between rm and /var. There are no other spaces. If you do not enter this command exactly as written you will erase your entire hard drive. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO COPY AND PASTE WHEN IN SINGLE USER MODE. WRITE THIS DOWN EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS NOW. A SINGLE TYPO MAY WRECK YOUR DRIVE!!! IF YOU ENTER THE COMMANDS AS WRITTEN, THIS IS COMPLETELY SAFE.

At the next root# prompt type in "reboot" no quotes and hit return. Don't type in anything new until you get the root# prompt after entering each command.

If after entering rm /var/audit/current, you get a message back saying "no such file," then just type in "reboot" at the prompt and hit return.

Login Loop OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.