Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar problem - can't choose file

Hi! I just upgraded to a new Mac and Mavericks - a big jump from Snow Leopard! However, I'm finding that I can't re-create some of my previous calendar events - specifically, ones I have set to "Open a file" when they occur.

(These events launch an Automator action that does a backup of a client's website - so it's important that they keep working!)

In the event's popup info window, I click on Alert and choose Custom..." Then I switch from "Message with Sound" to "Open File.." Finally, I change "Calendar" (just below "Open File...") to "Other...". At this point, I expect a file-selection dialogue box to appear. But... nothing happens.

This was working initially, at least for some events, as I made some adjustments after switching to my new Mac. But now, it doesn't seem to work at all.

Anything I can try?

Adam

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 27", Late 2013

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 11:51 AM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2014 11:47 AM in response to cosmocanuck

Hey cosmocanuck,

Thanks for the question. I understand that you are experiencing an issue creating an “Open file” alert in Calendar. If you have not already done so, let’s quit the calendar application and reopen it:

OS X: How to quit an unresponsive application using Force Quit

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3411

Once open, go ahead and give it another shot. If the window still does not appear, try going up to your menubar and choosing Window > Zoom.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Aug 26, 2014 12:01 PM in response to matt00

Thanks Matt. I was able to quit and restart Calendar, no force quit required. Then, I found that one event allowed me to set the Open File... option correctly. But thereafter, it again failed to work.

Also, while I have Open File... selected, the menus are greyed out, so I can't choose WIndow --> Zoom. It just sits there with "Other..." selected (having changed it from "Calendar"). If I click Apply, there is no alert added at all, it just says "None".

???

Calendar problem - can't choose file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.