Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why mac pro 2013 not supporting illustrator GPU rendering

Here, all nvidia cards supporting this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-preview-improvements.html

now I'm thinking, that buying the new mac pro 2013 maybe wasn't the best idea... Apple put in AMD GPu's, that is fine by me, but come on, give us some more support for them! Normal windows PC (for 800€) with nvidia GPU is faster at rendering in Illustrator, than my workstation mac (3500+€)! Really? O.o

And story doesn't end here. I was reading one article about GPU usage in this new mac pro and then I tested it myself. Only one GPU is used and the other is barely touched! And this goes for Maya, photoshop, illustrator and other adobe programs. I was shocked, that I discovered I have one GPU to warm up my room and only one actually doing all the work.

Ok I understand, that also software developers needs to support stuff and write their software to actually use GPU's, but adobe creative suite is one of examples, where software is actually capable of using GPU via openCL and in some cases even CUDA from nvidia.

And there is one more thing: new mac pro, has 2 identical AMD GPU's inside, which can work in crossfire configuration under windows in bootcamp, but not in OS X. Sometimes I even play some games on my mac and sometimes I'm testing them (I'm artist, but I also like to develop and test some games in my free time) and it's kinda a shame, that I can run games with better performance under windows in bootcamp.

When I bought this computer I thought this is going to rock and sweep up with all my previous machines. Well in practice it is much of unused potential and great room warmer. It's kinda sad, that on my girlfriend's PC I can play games with better frames and details on GF 660GTX than on my mac pro... I know I know, mac's aren't for gaming, but hey, sometimes it is good to get my mind on rest and blow up some enemies!

I'm not saying mac pro isn't great product, which is (very great). But support to use all computer capabilities is very limited and Apple should kick developers in their back side and push them to start developing things to use GPU's more.

I'm also not expecting Apple to jump on their feet and fix problems overnight. No, just start thinking of adding more support and things that would make our computers much more used and not only good decoration on desk. First would be a good steep adding crossfire support to OS X. That might even help at rendering some 3D scenes?

Next step would probably be better cooperation with software developers, like Adobe , Autodesk,... If adobe made good support for GPU rendering in Illustrator, aim that we get that support soon as well. I'm sometimes having a lot of paths and objects and rendering goes pretty slow then.

I'm also thinking about that AMD choice Apple made wasn't so good when you see that Nvidia puts much more effort into supporting more and more stuff, while AMD is sitting idle not even updating their drivers anymore.

Oh and one more thing: Can we please, please, please, please, preeeeeetty please get 10-bit output support on OS X? It's kinda sad, having good mac workstation with 10-bit capable monitor (dell UP2414Q) and no support for it, while other PC workstations all support it... Photoshop is working much better on OS X and here I have much better integration and everything and I really love working in Photoshop running on OS X, but some basic things are missing and I'm really asking myself sometimes: was that good decision? Photoshop was first written for macs and in 2014 there is much better support for adobe software on windows than on OS X. Where went wrong?

Don't take me wrong and think I'm just ranting here without any good reason, but think: buying very expensive computer that is supposed to make creative work easy and painless is actually just on paper. In reality computer potential is pretty much unused and that makes me thinking if I would be much better buying iMac instead of mac pro...

TL;DR: I wish for some more support from Apple for their new expensive mac pro's 2013. They are great piece of equipment, but equivalent PC's running windows are surpassing them in this department, specially when GPU's are involved. Now I would like to point this out to Apple, so I don't know where to write so they will read so I first wrote that here. I hope someone from Apple reads this and give us some feedback on those missing things or maybe I get direction where to write to Apple so I get maybe some response from them(?):

-not enough GPU support for creative software (adobe suite, autodesk,...) - nvidia + windows offering much more for less money?

-no crossfire support on OS X. Any particular reason for that?

-no 10-bit support for 10-bit displays. Why not? Hardware is capable, why software isn't?

-lack of openCL software out there. Apple isn't doing much to get more support or developers just too lazy to put more effort into this? GPGPU isn't the future as some companies are trying to convince us?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 11:29 AM

13 replies

Aug 24, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

All displays are supported by one GPU -- the display GPU. The second GPU is reserved for un-interrupted GPU computing and has no Display output Hardware.

Anandtech has a discussion of this in his review of the late 2013 Mac Pro.

Under OS X the situation is a bit more complicated. There is no system-wide CrossFire X equivalent that will automatically split up rendering tasks across both GPUs.

By default, one GPU is setup for display duties while the other is used exclusively for GPU compute workloads. GPUs are notoriously bad at context switching, which can severely limit compute performance if the GPU also has to deal with the rendering workloads associated with display in a modern OS. NVIDIA sought to address a similar problem with their Maximus technology, combining Quadro and Tesla cards into a single system for display and compute.

User uploaded file

from section 9:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013/9

Aug 24, 2014 11:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It’s when you actually go to render visual effects that the compute GPU kicks in. Video rendering/transcoding, as I mentioned earlier, is still a CPU bound affair but all effects rendering takes place on the GPUs. The GPU workload increases depending on the number of effects layered upon one another. Effects rendering appears to be spread over both GPUs, with the compute GPU taking the brunt of the workload in some cases and in others the two appear more balanced.

User uploaded file
GPU load while running my 4K CPU+GPU FCP 10.1 workload

source: Ibid

Aug 24, 2014 1:35 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Requirements for GPU Performance

• Windows 8, Windows 7
  • NVIDIA GPU card from the list below (recommended: medium/high-end card, 2 GB of VRAM)

Your complaints should be directed at Adobe, not Apple. Apple software such as final cut X works great with the display GPU and the compute GPU.

well if Illustrator supports GPU rendering in CC 2014 version and only on windows and on nvidia cards, then adobe has made their part already and it is up to OS and hardware manufacturers to provide support to adobe so they use their hardware as well and on selected OS isn't it?

Problem is, code is already there it just isn't used on mac pro hardware. All graphics cards are very good at computing vectors and graphics, don't tell me that only mac pro's GPU's aren't good enough for that?

Aug 24, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

All displays are supported by one GPU -- the display GPU. The second GPU is reserved for un-interrupted GPU computing and has no Display output Hardware.

Anandtech has a discussion of this in his review of the late 2013 Mac Pro.

Under OS X the situation is a bit more complicated. There is no system-wide CrossFire X equivalent that will automatically split up rendering tasks across both GPUs.

By default, one GPU is setup for display duties while the other is used exclusively for GPU compute workloads. GPUs are notoriously bad at context switching, which can severely limit compute performance if the GPU also has to deal with the rendering workloads associated with display in a modern OS. NVIDIA sought to address a similar problem with their Maximus technology, combining Quadro and Tesla cards into a single system for display and compute.

User uploaded file

from section 9:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013/9

Another problem here: on windows bootcamp crossfire IS working, but not in OS X. As I wrote, sometimes it would be better to get more rendering power than computing power (actually at current state of GPU computing software, computing GPU isn't working very much if at all). It would be nice to have an option to switch on and off crossfire so we could use more rendering power when needed.

Also not all people are doing video rendering on their computers. What about 3D modelling and 2D work in photosohp? And maybe people like me are occasionally wish to play some games on their mac?

You linked me GPU usage from one program (probably adobe after effects or premiere pro or apple final cut X?), that is probably one of the only pieces of software that actually uses both GPU's under OS X. I made same experiment with software I use and I even tested some software I don't use but it is advertised it is "optimized" for mac pro like pixelmator.

And guess what? Second GPU is 99% time idle. Even when some stuff is using openCL in Photoshop, stuff is still computed on rendering GPU and not on computing one, which makes computing GPU just a good room warmer as I wrote before. Wouldn't be better to at least use second GPU for something than heating air?

Aug 25, 2014 12:28 PM in response to MatejP84

Apple suggested that developers use OpenCL for good fast results that do not depend on closed, proprietary solutions from one vendor. Apple provided two excellent GPUs and took their flagship product, Final Cut, and made it run really fast using OpenCL and the methods they suggested everyone adopt. So it -CAN- be done.

Despite promises to adopt OpenCL, Adobe has moaned that this is too much work and has not made the investments needed to make this work. So at this writing, running most Adobe Apps on late 2013 Mac Pro Hardware will be frustrating.

Adobe and others need to work with Apple and get their stuff debugged and out into the marketplace. Adobe has said they are doing so, but has not delivered on their promises. Attempting to apportion blame Apple <--> Adobe is pointless. Yes, some of the Bugs will be Apple Bugs... but Adobe has not invested the time and energy required to make this work.

Aug 25, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

Apple suggested that developers use OpenCL for good fast results that do not depend on closed, proprietary solutions from one vendor. Apple provided two excellent GPUs and took their flagship product, Final Cut, and made it run really fast using OpenCL and the methods they suggested everyone adopt. So it -CAN- be done.

Despite promises to adopt OpenCL, Adobe has moaned that this is too much work and has not made the investments needed to make this work. So at this writing, running most Adobe Apps on late 2013 Mac Pro Hardware will be frustrating.

Adobe and others need to work with Apple and get their stuff debugged and out into the marketplace. Adobe has said they are doing so, but has not delivered on their promises. Attempting to apportion blame Apple <--> Adobe is pointless. Yes, some of the Bugs will be Apple Bugs... but Adobe has not invested the time and energy required to make this work.

Yes that is true, it can be done. Actually adobe already done of that stuff, like some filters in Photoshop are using openCL, but still not enough. And as mentioned before, some applications are not even taking GPU power (like Illustrator).

Funny thing is, that photoshop was first created for Apple computers only and Apple were dominating graphics computers market for several years. But it seems like those years are long gone and Apple and Adobe aren't cooperating as much as before and that makes me pretty sad and frustrating at the same time. I bought mac pro with a good reason: to have good workstation to work with graphical programs with ease. But boy I was wrong and at the moment it seems like a bad investment of too big pile of money... 😟

-No GPU accelerating of vector graphics - GPU's love vectors!

-No 10-bit support (yay for buying 1100€ monitor with 10-bit support only to discover my mac just doesn't support it...). When I was buying computer I thought macs are supporting it and Apple is advertising their TB monitors as superior one and price tag is the same: superior. But when you go research a little deeper, you see those monitors aren't so special and they don't have 10-bit panels.

-Very bad or almost no GPU acceleration for other adobe programs. Having only few filters is not enough. I'm more painting than editing stuff in Photoshop and I use brush based tools most of the time and sometimes they lag like crazy... GPU would help here, but not used.

-No option to have crossfire or to use both GPU's for rendering - as current state of software isn't very much supporting openCL and GPU computing one GPU is more or less idle all the time and with that rate of software coming out supporting GPU computing this will be total waste in next few years and GPU will remain unused for most of the time and great room warmer...

Everything goes to mobile nowadays and it seems I will be selling my mac pro in next few years and buying some good tablet to work on as there is much better support from Apple on GPU computing...

I really started to like OS X and it's perfect integration with software. Drag & drop is actually working here and there are other gems that comes with system (I just love Apple color picker that can be used in Photoshop and extended with extensions). System is also very stable and nicely done and you can see that Apple had put a lot of effort into small details to make customers happy and to ease their lives using computer.

But maybe Apple should not spend so much time and money on next version of system just changing icons and UI/UX, but more on better support and cooperation with software developers!

Oct 23, 2014 10:18 AM in response to MatejP84

MatejP84, I sympathise with you wholeheartedly. As a Mac user for the past 24 years (from a lowly LCII, to Quadras, PowerMacs, Mac Pros, and even a Twentieth Anniversary Mac!) when the time came earlier this year to invest in a new setup, after much research, I cautiously went for a high-ish end Windows 7 system (64GB RAM, overclocked/watercooled 4.7GHz 6-core processor, 2x decent video cards).

You have listed pretty much all the reasons why it makes absolutely no sense for a professional to buy any Apple products any more. Apple has made it very clear what it thinks of professional users - and who could blame it really, after all, profit profit and profit are the only words Apple knows now, and the margin on an unlocked 128GB iPhone 6 retailing at a laughable $949 (nearly a grand for a phone? Really?!) must be enormous, compared to, say, a previous generation Mac Pro retailing for the cost of three of those crappy phones. Take a guess at the production costs to bang out three of those silly phones compared to the complexities of a Mac Pro...

I've been using my Windows 7 system for about 3 months now, and while navigating files and folders throws up some stupid annoyances, the speed and reliability (despite it being overclocked) of the system blow away anything you could buy from Apple for similar money. I live within Adobe apps all day, and they behave the same on Mac or PC. Photoshop running in GPU-accelerated 10-bit mode is a dream. Massive documents, huge, soft airbrush? Whoosh. No problem. And if you want to go really high-end, Apple have nothing to offer. How about an HP Z820 with 512GB RAM?!

Apple have ditched us, now it's time to ditch Apple.

- Paul

Oct 23, 2014 10:39 AM in response to MatejP84

Was just now looking at a thread on MacRumors, Adobe apps 25% slower under Yosemite using 290x-series AMD card compared to previously on 280x.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1803996

OpenGL was mentioned in another thread and how poor and old some of the code base and feature support were and not written well enough to leverage the GPU properly, so a lot of work has to be done with drivers and CPU.

Same hardware but running Windows 8.1 64-bit does better, whether nMP or cMP. (SSDs are much better supported also in 8.1 and you don't have to worry about TRIM being supported)

Aug 21, 2015 12:46 PM in response to MatejP84

Apple will say talk to adobe. Its like building a car that does not run on petrol diesel and the car manufacturer saying "just talk to the fuel suppliers its not our fault it doesn't go" Adobe products are by far the most popular products, lets not make a Mac compatible with any of them but make it only compatible with one obscure program that only we make. So lets make a Mac specifically for one single program and not all the popular ones. Adobe will not make another version of Photoshop for the handful on Mac Pro machines in existance.

Why mac pro 2013 not supporting illustrator GPU rendering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.