Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extended network from another Airport express

Hello,

I'm trying to extend the network of my airport express with another one.

It's only working when I'm selecting radio mode 802.11n (a compatible) 802.11n only (5g). I can see that it'ss working with my mac by using the alt + wifi to see the ID of my airport.

Problem is such mode is not working with my Iphone 4s or my other phones.... when I selected another radio mode, everything seems fine but when I'm close to the station that should extend the network, with my mac, I checked and I'm connected to the base station not the one that should extend network.

Anyone has this case as I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but cannot find out.

Thanks!

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), EX

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 11:58 AM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Make_it_funky

Hi Make_it_funky,

I apologize, I'm a bit unclear on the exact configuration you are trying to set up. If you are having issues extending your Airport network, you may find the following article helpful:

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145

Regards,

- Brenden

Aug 26, 2014 12:01 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I checked the link but nothing new.

my problem is that extended network (between 2 airport express) is working only on 802.11n (5G) but such wifi radio is not compatible with my iphone only my mac get the extended network

When I setup in 802.11 (2.4) both aiport express are green but when I'm close to the airport that should extend the network, it's still connect to the main airport and so my second airport is not doing anything to get me a better signal so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Make_it_funky

Set up the "main" AirPort Express using Apple's default setting of "Automatic" as much as you can. This will also assign the same wireless network name to both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. In other words, do not enable the option to name the 5 GHz network separately on the "main" AirPort Express.

Then, simply configure the second Express to extend the signal from the first, again using as many default settings as you can. If you are using AirPort Utility 6.x to configure the AirPort Express, then the only thing that you will really be doing for the setup is naming the device. Everything else will be done automatically.

Your Mac will normally "switch" between wireless access points when it moves from one location to another....but the iPhone (and iPad) usually will not.

I think you will find that you will need to turn off the WiFi on the iPhone when you move it close to the other Express and then turn WiFi back on to give the iPhone the best chance of picking up a signal from the closest AirPort.

Extended network from another Airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.