Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iMac is running windows 7 and I can't access mac os to erase it

Hi there,

I've just bought a lovely early 2009 iMac which boots only into Windows 7. I know nothing of its history. I do not want this - I have a 10.7 disc I made ages ago. However when I try to do any of the normal things to install 10.7 I just get windows things. For example option-c brings up a "grub" command box, command-option just gives me a windows 7 option. Any ideas? Thank you

iMac, Windows 7, trying to instal 10.7

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 2:08 PM

7 replies

Aug 24, 2014 2:12 PM in response to vman88

If you power cycle and hold the Option key, does it give you a menu selection with OSX?

It is possible that OSX was completely removed and this was turned into a Windows only machine. Without knowing how Windows was installed, it may be tricky to partition the disk and re-install OSX.

You can also put the OSX DVD in the optical drive and use Alt key to select it and check the partitioning in Disk Utility.

Aug 24, 2014 2:40 PM in response to vman88

If you put in the OSX DVD and use Alt, do you see the DVD in boot selection?

The 'padlock' sign may indicate an encrypted disk. Very strange to have the seller not wipe the machine and give you their data.

If the regular firmware has been wiped and some GRUB loader firmware replaced it, you may need to contact the seller or somehow have them help you wipe the disk and set it back to a 'factory' state.

Aug 24, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks - the seller got it from an office clearance so don't hold out much hope of getting much help that way. Is there no other way of resetting to factory state. I have 10.7 disc and original iMac grey install discs (but just can get the mac to access them using power-c). Fit a new hard drive or does the firmware override everything? Hmm

my iMac is running windows 7 and I can't access mac os to erase it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.