Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Dispose of old iMac G5?

Bought above 2005, Went odd iin 2011 - loud whirring noise when switched on. No start up. Definitely pining for the fjords.

I was wondering if it could be salvaged in any way? Aware cost of repairs likely to be more than a iPad? Any views?

If totally wacked I will ask Council/State for eco friendly disposal route.

Any experience out there folks? Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 3:44 PM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2014 4:38 PM in response to Brightoncheerfull

At least in my Area in the US there is also a tech recycling company that takes old devices apart and recycles what can be recycled.

They also smash the hard drive - best for security.

Company I worked at, when the sent old pc's to a recycling company - removed the hard drives themselves and smashed them in a drill press.

Was astounded by the british man who threw his old laptop in the trash then remembered he had bit coins on it!

Aug 24, 2014 4:57 PM in response to notcloudy

Thanks, I have asked my Town Council for advice but I heed your warning about the hard drive and in a round about way you reminded me I have some photos on it!

Trouble is the UK is rather backwards in terms of environmental recycling. And as you say its not unknown to come across laptops etc in dumpsters. Incredibly foolish. But without the back up of recycling facilities folks just panic. Once more thanks.

How to Dispose of old iMac G5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.