Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install over 10.6.8 or do a fresh install and migrate data?

Hi all,

Running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and going to install Mavericks. System and backups are good. FileVault is enabled as is Time Machine.

Wondering if it's best to install over 10.6.8 (which is running flawlessly) or do a fresh install of Mavericks and migrate my data in from a 10.6.8 SuperDuper! backup or Time Machine. I have two user accounts with data on them, and both are FV protected.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 4:37 PM

22 replies

Aug 24, 2014 4:44 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

I would recommend a clean separate install and application validation before you get rid of SL.

Can you give me or point me to directions for doing a clean install?

By "application validation" do you mean getting rid of Classic and PPC apps before hand? Or installing all apps fresh (I can't really see myself doing that unless it's really necessary).

Aug 24, 2014 4:47 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

It's extremely inconsiderate if not outright trolling.

Not sure how you consider trolling and not going to argue about it. I've posted the questions separately on purpose to get a clear answer to each, without overloading a post with questions, which often leads to no answer at all. If you'd care to give a detailed response to all the questions in one post, I'd be delighted! Thanks

Aug 24, 2014 4:49 PM in response to tjk

If you really have a good backup/clone, then do the easy thing first and if you're not satisfied, then try a clean install with migration and if that doesn't do the trick, then do a clean install and drag your home folder contents over. Install your apps again, renew your mailbox, all that jazz.

Aug 24, 2014 4:58 PM in response to tjk

1. You may want to look at FV1 vs FV2 as one consideration between the two OSes.

2. In Disk Utility create a new partition (assuming your original disk is a GPT, not an APM disk).

3. Install Mavericks from the App Store (and save the Install Mavericks.app for future) and choose the new partition created in Step 2 as the target partition for Mavericks.

4. Test you applications.

5. Mavericks will create a new RecoveryHD that does not exist in SL. This is used for Find My Mac and FV2.

This would leave your SL intact and functional and available via Startup Disk. You can also use an external disk (but be aware of performance implications, if you do).

Application Validation is for PPC apps which you may still be using. Rosetta is one consideration.

Aug 24, 2014 4:58 PM in response to tjk

It’s not possible to do a simple, “clean” install from 10.6.8 unless your Mac is capable of booting into Internet Recovery.

If your Mac is one of these, Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery, you can do the firmware update to let you use Internet Recovery.

From Internet Recovery, you can erase the drive, then install the OS.

Without Internet Recovery, you would need to download the installer and quit the installer when it starts.

Use this, Creating a bootable OS X installer in OS X Mavericks, to create a bootable installer, then you can then boot to that, erase the drive, and then install.

Aug 24, 2014 5:19 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

It’s not possible to do a simple, “clean” install from 10.6.8 unless your Mac is capable of booting into Internet Recovery.

Are you certain? On a 2010 Mac mini using just the App Store and pre-existing SL, I have both SL and Mavericks on two different partitions, without using Internet Recovery. I just chose the target partition in the Mavericks installer as the non-SL one.

The diskutil list is

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX-Samsung840 319.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Apple_HFS OSL-Samsung840 63.3 GB disk0s4

5: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s5

6: Apple_HFS OSY-Samsung840 127.3 GB disk0s6

7: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s7

User uploaded file

Aug 24, 2014 5:18 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

Barney-15E wrote:

Are you certain? On a 2010 Mac mini using just the App Store and pre-existing SL, I have both SL and Mavericks on two different partitions, without using Internet Recovery. I just chose the target partition in the Mavericks installer as the non-SL one.

Which is the problem with the undefined term, “clean install.”

I don’t consider partitioning the drive and installing on the partition a “clean” install. Unless you want to keep the SL partition, you have to get rid of it eventually.

Aug 24, 2014 5:21 PM in response to Loner T

1. Installing Mavericks is a given, as is turning on FV, so FV2 is my only option, yes?

2. Am using GPT; how large do I want the recovery partition to be?

3. OK, but size of Mavericks partition is going to be dependent on size mentioned in #2.

4. OK.

5. Could you clarify how recovery partition is used for Find My Mac (what is that anyway?) and FV2? If it the partition is necessary for using FV2, that helps answer one of my other questions.

I'll be using SL booting from an external clone if I need it for anything, so don't need it on board my early 2008 MBP with 320GB HD.

Already ditched all my PPC and Classic apps (yes, I still had Classic apps hanging around, but don't tell anybody! I've still got a dual-boot TiBook if I need to go back to anything Classic).

Aug 24, 2014 5:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Loner T wrote:

Barney-15E wrote:

Which is the problem with the undefined term, “clean install.”

I don’t consider partitioning the drive and installing on the partition a “clean” install. Unless you want to keep the SL partition, you have to get rid of it eventually.

I called it a 'clean' install, because the specific partition did not have a prior OS. But now I understand the ambiguity. Thanks for clarifying.

Aug 24, 2014 5:25 PM in response to tjk

tjk wrote:

1. Installing Mavericks is a given, as is turning on FV, so FV2 is my only option, yes?

Yes, FileVault 2 is the only option in Mavericks.

2. Am using GPT; how large do I want the recovery partition to be?

3. OK, but size of Mavericks partition is going to be dependent on size mentioned in #2.

You don’y have any control over that. The installer creates it.

5. Could you clarify how recovery partition is used for Find My Mac (what is that anyway?) and FV2? If it the partition is necessary for using FV2, that helps answer one of my other questions.

I don’t know how it is used, but it is required for both. No way around than.

I'll be using SL booting from an external clone if I need it for anything, so don't need it on board my early 2008 MBP with 320GB HD.

Then Clone SL onto the External and boot from that. From there, you can erase the drive and install Mavericks. When it runs the installer, choose the internal drive as the destination for the install.

Install over 10.6.8 or do a fresh install and migrate data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.