Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto freezes when connected to Internet or Places turned on

Hi all,

I've seen a couple of threads around this but no real solution.

If I open iphoto while connected to the internet it will load and then shorty after display the beach ball loading symbol and then become unresponsive causing me to force quit. If I open iphoto while not connected to the internet everything works fine (until I connect and then straight away I get the beach ball again). Additionally, if I go to iphoto preferences and turn 'Look up places' to 'Never' I can use iphoto while connected to the internet fine.

Therefore I think the problem revolves around Places. I have my photos tagged with geolocation in the meta data and when I connect to the Internet with Places turned on (just before it freezes) I get a loading symbol appear next to places. Maybe it is having trouble fetching the location from the apple servers based on the geolocation coordinates??

The problem started a couple of days ago. I am using OSX 10.9.4 and iphoto 09 8.1.2. Late 2008 Aluminium Macbook, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 50GB free HDD space.

I've tried the Command+Option Launch Iphoto and gone through all the steps and also deleting the iphoto .plist file.

The simple solution is to leave 'Look up places' to 'Never', however, it would be really nice to be able to use the Places functionality.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 12:56 AM

Your problem is that iPhoto 09 is not fully compatible with 10.9. The only solution is to upgrade to iPhoto 11, which requires a purchase.

11 replies

Aug 25, 2014 10:38 AM in response to mattlazarus

I use iPhoto 8.1.2 with Mavericks and the only way to get around the slow launch and freezes is to turn off all sharing and lookup places, etc. in it's preferences.

Did you install any Mavericks updates recently? Event though V8 worked for a file it is so precarious in it's compatibility with Mavericks I rate it not compatible. One might say it's too "old school".

User uploaded file

Nov 18, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Putera_Aditya

What system are you using? iPhoto 11 includes all versions from 9.0 to 9.6.1. Which version is it? If it's 9.4.3 or earlier then the location feature won't work as it's tied to the Google maps and Apple has cut their arrangement with Google to use it's maps.

Also how is the iPhoto/iCloud preference pane configured? Post a screenshot of it.

Mar 20, 2016 3:08 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, Old Toad (and Huxly647 too)!

I'm running iPhoto '11 (9.4.3) on Mtn. Lion and recently developed the same "iPhoto crashing when Mac is connected to internet" issue, in spite of no changes/updates, and regardless of settings in iPhoto preferences.

Your advice did the trick (and is radically more useful than saying "you need to buy a new version")

Cheers!

Iphoto freezes when connected to Internet or Places turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.