Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Daily connection failed

Hi all,

I have a macbook air that is running OS X 10.9.4 and a three month old apple time capsule running the latest firmware. I also have an old iMac that is also running OS X 10.9.4 should it make any difference.

The time capsule worked fine for a couple of weeks after purchasing it, but for the past couple of months it has been next to useless. Every single day I wake up and turn up my macbook to find the message that the backup has failed. Furthermore, when I try to connect to the time capsule it gives me the connection failed message. If I then click connect as it fails and says it can't find it or some such message.

To solve it, I do a power cycle and then when it comes back on, I can connect as usual and then run a backup. However, the next day the whole thing has fallen over again and I am left having to repeat the process. It is really frustrating.

Had a quick search on here, but does anyone know what to do? I am as we speak disabling the power nap function and trying that as I read somewhere that solved the problem.

Any suggestions or experiences to share in terms of fixing this!? At the moment it is a very expensive plastic ornament that doesn't work!

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 7:48 AM

4 replies

Aug 25, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Ironmike78

Yes,, we see a lot of this complaint.. it is the combo of TC and Mavericks which is painful.

There are some things you can do to help it.. might not be a cure but should stop the issue happening daily.

Time Machine Can't Find Backup Disk

You will see the OP in the thread is still having the same issue and gave up.. but I think if you are prepared to pursue it then you can get a bit further.

Apple belatedly have posted some info.

OS X Mavericks: Time Machine problems

Most is just links to older stuff. It doesn't face the fact that Mavericks has this network problem.

Aug 30, 2014 10:46 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the reply. Not what I was wanting to hear having spent a lot of money on this.

It is also loosing my connection to iTunes daily too. I have connected a 2TB Mybook Studio drive to host all my iTunes files, but everytime I go to Itunes the file location in advanced preferences box is just blank. So, every day I need to login to iTunes, change the path of my file to my external drive and then the system has to go through the process of sorting all the files and organising library. I have always loved how well apple products work but this is so far just junk. Tempted to chuck it in the bin for what it's worth.

Aug 30, 2014 1:20 PM in response to Ironmike78

I think you can fix it up but the setup is going to need some tweaking.

If you have an old iMac I would make that computer a sort of media centre.. use a large and fastest hard disk you can afford.

This is probably FW800 if it doesn't have thunderbolt which is over priced still.

Load your iTunes library onto that and share it with the network.

iTunes: How to share music and video

The WD is slow.. and loading files on a slow network drive using wireless is just not going to ever bring joy.

Sep 5, 2014 11:20 AM in response to LaPastenague

Cheers for the reply again. The trouble isn't that things don't stream, it is that the system keeps falling over. I have just set my iTunes folder again to the external drive as it keeps losing the connection. When it works, it is great - I watched a couple of downloaded movies last night over Wifi with my WD HD and it was perfect - no problems at all regarding speed. The WD and wifi are fine, it is just the time capsule that keeps disconnecting from the network.

I cannot believe that this happens so much, yet apple do not release a fix for it. Maybe they are just geared towards the next OS which should be with us in the next month or two, and don't care for the current OS anymore? Just hope time capsule works better in the next OS as it is a disaster in this one!

Daily connection failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.