Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move iTunes Library folder to another location?

Hi guys .. I have a question I can't seem to find a fully working answer to.

I have iTunes 11 installed, which has it's folder in the default location:

C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes\ ...

However I have all my music stored in one central folder located in my Dropbox:

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library\..............

I've recently made the switch from Dropbox to Google Drive, so I'm trying to move the above music containing folder to:

C:\Users\ahmadka\Google Drive\ahmadka's Music Library\..............

But before doing anything, I made a backup of my Music\iTunes folder.

Then I moved the folder as mentioned above (moved ahmadka's Music Library folder from Dropbox to Google Drive). However obviously after moving the folder, iTunes was unable to locate any songs (I see that ! sign next to any song I try to play). So then I tried going to File >> Add Folder to Library, and then I browsed for the new 'ahmadka's Music Library' folder. However now iTunes just re-added all the songs again, instead of realizing that they are the same songs which have just been moved.

Restored my iTunes backup and then tried this:

In another thread someone suggested running the FindTracks script to fix those incorrect links. I did this and it seemed to have fixed the links to 80% of the songs, but the remaining 20% still remain. Since they're a lot of songs, I can't manually fix each song's link.

One way would be to just delete everything in my library and re-add all songs from the new Google Drive folder, but I don't want to do this as I loose my ratings, playcount, etc .. I don't want to loose years worth of work.

Is there any other easier way that allows me to move the songs from one location to another ?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 5:16 PM

22 replies

Aug 26, 2014 12:09 AM in response to FoxFifth

Step #9 in the "Moving your iTunes Media folder" is wrong, at least on my iTunes installation.

Files -> Library -> Organize Libary

This is not an option, I have "Turn off home sharing" and "Get Album Network" in iTunes version 11.3.1.

How do you perform that task in version 11? I need to clear out space on my SSD boot drive.

Aug 26, 2014 11:47 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your help. I read that article, but I'm either not understanding it properly, or what it's suggesting is not what I wanted to do. I had to read it word for word 2 times to make some sense. It's written in a very confusing way I think (or maybe it's just me).

Anyways, I think that article is basically suggesting that I first consolidate my externally located (inside Dropbox) music containing folder into my iTunes Media folder, and then I just move the iTunes folder (which is located inside Music folder) where ever I want to move it to.

This is not what I wanted really. I want the iTunes folder to remain where it is currently (C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes\ ...), and I just want to relocate the externally located music containing folder from here ...

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library\..............

to here:

C:\Users\ahmadka\Google Drive\ahmadka's Music Library\..............

I don't think that article tells me how to do this ..

Aug 26, 2014 1:15 PM in response to ahmadka

An iTunes library is portable if the library files are in any folder A that is the immediate parent of the designated media folder B

I'm assuming at this point that ahmadka's Music Library is the designated media folder, if not make it so then close iTunes and reopen. Now with iTunes closed relocate the library files to the Dropbox folder and use the shift-start-iTunes method to open them from that folder. Check the library works, then move the library files and the media folder into the Google Drive folder and shift-start-Tunes to access them there. The internal layout of your media folder remains unchanged and the absolute paths should be updated to reflect the new location.

tt2

Aug 26, 2014 7:06 PM in response to turingtest2

Okay, I'm still a little confused ..

I think it would be good if the terms can be clarified first (because I'm obviously a n00b at this).

By 'media folder', do you mean the folder called 'iTunes Media' (C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media), or do you mean the folder actually containing the music itself, etc (C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library) ? I'm assuming you meant the latter ..

Also, you said:

"An iTunes library is portable if the library files are in any folder A that is the immediate parent of the designated media folder B"

Later, you also said:

"Now with iTunes closed relocate the library files to the Dropbox folder"

So putting both above together, I assume that the 'library folder' in my case currently is: C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes ... ?

Assuming that's a yes, you're saying I so move the 'iTunes' folder (currently inside C:\Users\ahmadka\Music) to Dropbox, and then open the Library ITL from this new path (C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl) .. ?

Verify everything's still working, and then move both the iTunes and ahmadka's Music Library folders from Dropbox to Google Drive:

So ..

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\iTunes\ ----> Goes to ---> C:\Users\ahmadka\Google Drive\iTunes\

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library\ ----> Goes to ---> C:\Users\ahmadka\Google Drive\ahmadka's Music Library\

And then open the library ITL from there again and it should work ?

But since I want my iTunes Library folder (i.e. the iTunes folder) inside the default Music folder, do I move that back again as it was originally ?

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if my understanding is correct or not.

Aug 27, 2014 1:03 AM in response to ahmadka

The core of your library is the .itl file. This is normally called iTunes Library.itl and is normally located in <User's Music>\iTunes where the exact path to <User's Music> depends on the user name and the operating system. Whatever folder contains this file is the library folder, A in my post above.

Use the menu item Edit > Preferences > Advanced to reveal the path to the media folder. This is normally called iTunes Media and is normally inside the main iTunes folder at <User's Music>\iTunes\iTunes Media. This is B in my post above. A contains B as an immediate subfolder and the library is portable if all the content that is attached to the library is located somewhere inside this media folder.

What my user tip tries to explain is that you can move A & B around together if they are in that relationship. Further you can move A (or the contents of A) around leaving B where it is to get the two folders in that relationship if you've broken it up in the past. Finally, if you want, it is possible to standardize the names of A and B if you've previously given them different names.

If you give me the path to working .itl file and the name of the folder shown in Edit > Preferences > Advanced I can give you more specific directions.

tt2

Aug 27, 2014 4:00 AM in response to turingtest2

Okay, thanks for that explanation.

First let me tell you the paths for my specific scenario:

My library folder (i.e. A) (i.e. the one containing the ITL file) is: C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes

My media folder (i.e. B) (i.e. the one mentioned in Edit > Preferences > Advanced) is: C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

But do note that as I've said above, all my active music is currently in this Dropbox folder: C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library

For example, here are some music folders/files I have here (just to tell you how it's organized):

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library\30 Seconds To Mars\A Beautiful Lie\01. Attack.mp3

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library\30 Seconds To Mars\A Beautiful Lie\02. A Beautiful Lie.mp3

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library\Game of Thrones (OST)\01 - Main Title.mp3

C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library\Game of Thrones (OST)\02 - North of the Wall.mp3

etc...

Since the actual songs folder (i.e. C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library) is not within either the media or library folder indicated above, how does this work with your solution ?

Remember that I'd just like to move the ahmadka's Music Library folder from Dropbox to Google Drive.

EDIT:

Also, you said this in your last post:

"A contains B as an immediate subfolder and the library is portable if all the content that is attached to the library is located somewhere inside this media folder."

While A does contain B in my case, do note that B does NOT contain all the media files. The actual media files are in that ahmadka's Music Library folder, which is currently located outside both A and B.

When I download a new song or album from iTunes, it gets downloaded inside B by default. But then I manually move it from there and place it inside my ahmadka's Music Library folder. This causes the link to the media file to break in iTunes, but I fix this by removing it from my iTunes library, and then re-adding the C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library folder to iTunes. iTunes then scans the folder, realizes that 99% of the contents were already mapped, and just adds the new addition which I had just pasted into ahmadka's Music Library folder. Doing this everytime is a nuisance for me at times, but I'm now used to it.

Also, I like to keep my actual songs outside in a more 'public' location such as Dropbox, so that I can easily browse to that folder from other synced places (e.g. office, consoles, etc.) to listen to songs, etc.

Aug 27, 2014 4:33 AM in response to ahmadka

I'm assuming you want to keep your manual layout for your media files. Probably best to shutdown both Dropbox and Google Drive while you are manipulating the library.

1. Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced make sure the options for Keep... and Copy... are both off. The probably are anyway, but if not turn them off now and click OK.
  2. Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced change the media folder to C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\ahmadka's Music Library, don't consolidate if prompted. Close iTunes.
  3. Reopen iTunes. Make sure content plays. Close iTunes. This step may be redundant but it should ensure the new media folder location has been adopted. Close iTunes.
  4. Copy the following files and folders from C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes to C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox
    Album Artwork
    iTunes Library.itl
    iTunes Library Extras.itdb
    iTunes Library Genius
    sentinel (hidden file - possibly not a problem if you don't know how to reveal it)
    (Don't copy the .xml file, it is going to get a new name)
  5. Hold down shift as you launch iTunes and keep holding until prompted to choose or create a library. If iTunes opens normally close and try again. Click Choose and open the library file C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox\iTunes Library.itl
  6. Make sure the content plays. Close iTunes.
  7. Move the following files and folders from C:\Users\ahmadka\Dropbox to C:\Users\ahmadka\Google Drive
    Album Artworkahmadka's Music Library
    iTunes Library.itl
    iTunes Library,xml
    iTunes Library Extras.itdb
    iTunes Library Genius
    sentinel
  8. Shift-start-iTunes and open C:\Users\ahmadka\Google Drive\iTunes Library.itl
  9. Make sure the content plays.

Personally I would also make the following optional adjustments:

1. With iTunes closed, rename ahmadka's Music Library as iTunes Media then restart iTunes. iTunes should automatically update the path of the media folder but this should be confirmed under Edit > Preferences > Advanced.
  2. With iTunes closed make a new empty folder at C:\Users\ahmadka\Google Drive\iTunes and move the library files and media folder down into it, then shift-start-iTunes and connect to the relocated library.

tt2

Aug 27, 2014 4:53 AM in response to turingtest2

Okay I can try those steps out. The only issue I see is that towards the end, you're just leaving the iTunes library files in Google Drive too (optionally making an iTunes folder inside Google Drive and placing everything in there). But this is not what I'd like. I would like to move the iTunes library files back to C:\Users\ahmadka\Music\iTunes, so that only the ahmadka's Music Library folder remains in Google Drive. Is this possible ?

Aug 27, 2014 5:06 AM in response to turingtest2

The problem with leaving the iTunes library files inside Google Drive is that the folder size is about 30 GB for me, because iTunes stores iPhone and iPad backups. And every device sync will likely change the files, resulting in lots of GB worth of change, meaning lots and lots of upload, etc. So I want to avoid this and just leave the iTunes library files in the default Music\iTunes location.

So I guess after step 9, I move all iTunes library files back to Music\iTunes ? .. And I assume I DON'T move the XML file (as it will probably get regenerated) ?

How do I move iTunes Library folder to another location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.