Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a complete Mavericks reinstallation fix disk utility partition problems?

I tried to delete a bootcamp partition after a failed attempt at installing windows 7. I only got as far as the partition selection screen during the initial windows installation. I actually clicked "delete" for the bootcamp partition and it essentially erased the partition but it still shows up. All partition options are now greyed out. I cannot make any changes. The bootcamp partition still appears but I cannot click on any of the options. I am beyond frustrated at this point after researching the issue for hours. I haven't attempted a reinstall yet because I'm not even sure if that will help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 9:17 PM

5 replies

Aug 25, 2014 9:25 PM in response to Artie2686

When you don't do things correctly, be prepared for bad endings. Reinstalling won't fix a thing. You need to backup your OS X volume, if you can. Then you must repartition the drive and reinstall OS X or restore the backup.

It would help to know exactly which iMac model your have. It would also be helpful if you would open Disk Utility, select your main hard drive entry (shows mfgr.'s name and size) then click on the Partition tab in Disk Utility's main window. Now take a snapshot of the Disk Utility window and post it here.

To post screen shot do this:

1. Press COMMAND-SHIFT-4 which will change the cursor to crosshairs.
  2. Hold down the mouse button and use the crosshairs to select the part of the screen you wish to capture.
  3. Release the button and the image will be saved to your Desktop.
  4. Click on the Camera icon in the toolbar of the forum message editor.
  5. Drag the image onto the Choose File button and click on the Insert button.

Aug 25, 2014 10:50 PM in response to Artie2686

OK, then I am not sure what you should do at this point. Were this not a Fusion drive it would be pretty straight forward, but I've never played around with the Apple Fusion Drive, so I don't know if you can simply repartition it without breaking the Fusion Drive setup.

Have you tried using Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition?

I suggest you either hope someone comes along who knows how it's done or you call your local Apple Store for help. I have only found this article about Fusion drives: Mac mini (Late 2012), iMac (Late 2012 and later)- About Fusion Drive.

Will a complete Mavericks reinstallation fix disk utility partition problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.