Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Probably an easy question for anybody who uses the service, but I tried asking a Genius at the Apple Store and he didn't really address my concern.

I have an iMac with two accounts (say A and B), where A is Admin and B isn't.

I have a MacBook Air with one account (say C), where C is Admin.

Both iMac(A) and Macbook Air(C) share the same iCloud userID, but iMac(B) does not.

By using the built in screensharing service of Mountain Lion (not Apple Remote Login), can I use "Back to my Mac" to remotely log in iMac(A) from Macbook Air(C) when outside of my home network? In particular, can I "log in" iMac(A) when it's not already logged in on my iMac or iMac(B) is using the machine?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 9:59 AM

You should be able to using the correct user name/password.

Back to My Mac - Use

Back to My Mac Screen Sharing

Back to My Mac Troubleshooting

11 replies

Aug 26, 2014 4:42 PM in response to mastrolindo

Because iMac admin account A has established Back-to-My-Mac via iCloud the "Entire" Mac is now accessible from outside your home by you Macbook Air which is using the same iCloud account. iCloud is providing visibility of the iMac to the Macbook Air. Once you connect you will be able enter the username and password for either account A or account B from your Macbook Air.

Aug 27, 2014 7:42 AM in response to mastrolindo

Thanka Bob, but would user iMac(B) be notified? or can they keep working on iMac(B) without noticing?

User B does not appear to receive any notifications nor menu bar indications that another user on the Mac is also logged in.

I am currently using my Macbook Pro logged in as Me, and I have another Mac using a Screen Sharing session to a different account on my Macbook Pro, and there is no indication that the other account is active, unless I go digging. I know I can see another user logged in if I use the 'who' command in a Terminal session. I'm sure there are other ways.

However, you would have to know to look, and I cannot see anything telling my normal account that the other account is logged in.

NOTE: If I do not intentionally log out of the other account when I stop screen sharing, the account is still active on the Mac. If I wish to shutdown all the apps running in the other account after I'm down with the screen sharing session, I have to use log out of the account before disconnecting, OR I have to use Fast User Switching from my normal account to switch to the other account and log it out.

Aug 27, 2014 8:39 AM in response to BobHarris

No worries at all, you've been most helpful anyway. The problem is that I don't have another Mac (or any other computer for what it matters) to test this with, but willing to buy a MacBook if this can work, and the Apple Genius has not been able to find out. So if you have the chance, it would be greatly appreciated! If not, thanks for sharing (pun intended 😝)

Aug 27, 2014 2:02 PM in response to mastrolindo

Perfect, that sorts all my doubts. Say neither iMac A and iMac B are not logged in and you log in remotely iMac A, what happens on the screen? Can anybody standing in front of the machine see what you're seeing while sharing?

I got mixed results. I do NOT know if the mixed results was because the client Mac was running Snow Leopard (10.6 - major release ago), but here is what happened.

When logged out of all users on my Mavericks (10.9) Macbook Pro, then started screen sharing from my Snow Leopard Mac to the Macbook Pro, it logged in as the primary user controlling the Macbook Pro screen and keyboard (anyone able to see my Macbook Pro would see what I was doing from remote).

So that no one would see what I was doing, I would need to first remotely login to the normal user account (maybe start the screen saver so that the screen/keyboard are locked from passer-by's), then start a new screen sharing session to the "Other" account, and now that account will start up in the background.

NOTE: If I logged into the "Other" account first, then used "Fast User Switching" to move the display away from Other to the normal account, then start a new screen sharing session to get back to "Other", when I tried to logout of Other, it put a dialog box on the Fast User Switched to Normal user's display asking if I really want to close all applciations.

That is to say, the normal message Other should have received, was instead delivered to the physical display which is currently displaying the Normal user's account.

Again, I do not know if this Fast User Switching behavior was because my client Mac was a 10.6, or if it is just the way it is. I do not have a newer client Mac I can connect to my Mavericks Macbook Pro to give that a try.

So I would say, if no one is logged into your iMac, you first login to the normal account, force the screen saver to start, then disconnect the screen sharing session, and start a new session to your Other account. That way you can login/logout without the normal users noticing.

Aug 27, 2014 2:11 PM in response to BobHarris

What can I say...THANK YOU!!!!!

BobHarris wrote:

So I would say, if no one is logged into your iMac, you first login to the normal account, force the screen saver to start, then disconnect the screen sharing session, and start a new session to your Other account. That way you can login/logout without the normal users noticing.

Sorry, I didn't get what you meant by "normal" and "other". Which one of the two is the admin account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.