Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn off the display but prevent sleep

Hello,

I am new to the Mac OS system and am facing a difficulty.

I want to keep my macbook running through the night downloading the updates, however I want the display to be off. For this I have used apps like caffeine and no sleep and have also modified the system preferences. But still whenever I turn off my display, after some time the macbook goes to sleep and all my downloads and updates are paused.

Is there any workaround which allows me to turn off the display without letting the mac to go to sleep ??

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2017 10:53 AM

Have a look at the caffeinate command.

Multiple use cases are already on the internet so google it...🙂 I use this command to run long processes without my mac going to sleep. For the options use man caffeinate.

12 replies

Aug 26, 2014 3:35 AM in response to bhargav17

Yes there is.

You can use the command Ctrl + Shift + Eject which just puts the display to sleep but the Mac will carry on running. I do this quite often so I added a hot corner to put the display to sleep. This is in System Preferences > Desktop and Screen Saver > Screen Saver > Hot Corners and then you can just choose the corner and select Put display to sleep or any other commands.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Aug 26, 2014 3:51 AM in response to bhargav17

Have you tried the energy saving setting that controls the hard drive sleep, and set it to Never?

Then it won't matter the minutes display is set to wait until sleep, so long as it's not also never.

If there is a problem with this not working, you may check into an SMC reset; or perhaps also

the NVRAM/PRAM, as one or both may be in control over some aspect of this (dys)function.

•Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

•About NVRAM and PRAM

There may be other issues with the later versions Mavericks energy saver selections; in the

older systems the matter was refined and less a problem. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

edited 2x

Aug 26, 2014 4:35 AM in response to bhargav17

Should those third-party applications to modify sleep appear to not

help the situation, you may have to remove them totally since they

can also work against the normal function of system preferences.

Modifications can cause grief. Sometimes Console (utility) logs can

show by date/time the actions in the system & help point to a cause.

Hopefully you can resolve the issue satisfactorily.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Sep 2, 2016 11:50 PM in response to bhargav17

check this out.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/14/disable-the-internal-screen-on-a-macbook-pro-or-a ir-in-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

I wanted to turn off the display while connected to an external monitor and the lid is open. what I did was not exactly the same but the code might help.

shutting the monitor is very annoying as the existing information on the web I believe gets outdated with each new release. some people suggest using a magnet to trick the computer 🙂

Apple should definitely do sth about this

turn off the display but prevent sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.