Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change MP4 to MP3 in iTunes?

How do I change MP4 to MP3 in iTunes? Please help. I've seen answers on this but when I click on the file tab and then create new version, the MP3 option is not highlighted???

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 6:01 AM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2014 10:41 AM in response to mikasha1

Do you already have the MP4 versions in your iTunes? Or are you importing totally new MP4 files that you wish to convert?

Can you navigate to a window like this?

User uploaded file

Alternate Instructions which may or may not apply since we don't really know what versions of what you are using 🙂

Using iTunes

• 1 Open iTunes.
  • 2 Drag the MP4 music files you want to convert to MP3 into iTunes.
  • 3 Open iTunes preferences, select the "General" settings tab, and click the "Import Settings" button.
  • 4 Select the "MP3 Encoder" from the "Import Settings" menu.

Click "OK" to apply this change.

• 6 Click "OK" to exit iTunes preferences.
  • 7 Hold the "Command" key and click the MP4 music files you want to convert to MP3 in order to highlight the files simultaneously. Then click "Advanced" and choose "Create MP3 Version." When the conversion is complete, MP3 versions will appear below the original MP4 music files in your iTunes library.

• Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_7286804_convert-mp4-music-files-mp3.html

Aug 26, 2014 11:03 AM in response to Michael Murphy3

So if your not able to make sense out of any of the aforementioned there is also this procedure from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you haven't imported some songs into iTunes yet, you can import and convert them at the same time. This will create a converted copy of the file in your iTunes Library based on your iTunes preferences. To convert all the songs in a folder or on a disk, hold down the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Windows) and choose File > Create New Version > Convert [import preference setting]. The Import preference setting will match what you chose in step 3. iTunes will prompt you for the location of the folder or disk you want to import and convert. All the songs in the folder or on the disk will be converted. Note: Older purchased songs are encoded using a Protected AAC format that prevents them from being converted. If you need to convert these to another format, follow the instructions in this article to upgrade them.

The song in its original format and the newly converted song appear in your library.

Now I'm totally confused... hope you can take a break (that's what I'm gonna do 😊) ... relax... breath in, breath out, etc...

Then (you) may come back refreshed & solve the puzzle!

Cheers,

mm

Aug 26, 2014 6:52 AM in response to mikasha1

Are you carefully following all instructions? Have you set format preference to mp3?

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550 - including information about different formats and discussion about compression. Instructions are for iTunes11.

In iTunes11: File > Create New Version

In iTunes11 "Create..." is in the File menu, not the Advanced menu. Prior to iTunes11 use iTunes menu > Advanced

Aug 26, 2014 10:26 AM in response to mikasha1

Hi mikashha,

Does this help?

To convert a song's file format

Open iTunes Preferences.

Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences.

Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.

Click the General button, then click the Importing Settings… button in the lower section of the window.

From the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the encoding format that you want to convert the song to, then click OK to save the settings.

Select one or more songs in your library, then from the File > Create New Version menu, choose one of the following (the menu item changes to show what's selected in your Importing preferences):

Create MP3 version

Create AAC version

Create AIFF version

Create WAV version

Create Apple Lossless version

Also, please try to give the volunteers in the ASC a bit more information. You can put it in your profile so that people like Limnos can tell what version of what, etc... you are using. Look at our profiles... see the technical info. That's all! For problems you have in the in the future. 🙂

Best Regards,

mm

How do I change MP4 to MP3 in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.