Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto database rebuild

My 2007 black MacBook died and I had the hard drive recovered onto a back up drive. I had a shop transfer everything to my new Mac Mini. All my pictures are intact in the correct event/album, but only as thumbnails. I do not know which option to choose to repair my library. When I click on the picture currently I get the black triangle with grey exclamation point.

Some of the pictures I have are my only copies and are of special events...I am very nervous and don't want to lose any!

Mac mini (Late 2012), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 7:53 AM

5 replies

Aug 26, 2014 8:27 AM in response to Smittyrider03

Sounds like the recovery was incorrectly done

Right click on the iPhoto library and show package contents - look (do not make any changes of any sort) in the masters folder and see what is there including pixel size of photos - also look in previews and thumbnails for the same

If the recovery was done correctly there is a small thumbnail of each photo in the thumbnails folder - a full resolution copy of the image in masters and a preview (typically smaller than the master but not necessarily) in the previews folder - what you you have

Until we know what you have it is not possible to go further - and if the correct photos are not there then you can not fix that - you need to have the recovery done correctly - there is no way to fix a small photos to be a larger one

Probably the best solution is going to be to restore your backup from before the MB died rather than doing recovery from a dead machine

LN

iPhoto database rebuild

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.