Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to extend a network with Airport Express 1st Gen "Wired"

Hello,

I have a 1st Gen Airport Express that can extend my wireless network (from and Airport Extreme) but the distance and walls make the signal very weak. I have read that I could extend the network using an ethernet cable from the extreme to the express which would get rid of distance and walls issues. I did pass a cable through the house and connected it to the extreme. I reset the Express, it finds it in the utility but will asked if I want to "replace" the extreme with the express.. which I say NO.. and I choose add to existing network. Then it adds the express and configures it to extend "wirelessly" which is not what I'm trying to get it to do..

So I thought maybe it has to do with the fact that I use a straight ethernet cable between the two and tried a crossed-cable, but that generates an error as soon as I try to add the express to the network with the utility.

Looking at a doc for the airport express there is no mention of extending with ethernet though, only wirelessly so I'm wondering if it is an option at all.. Do I have to upgrade to a 2nd generation? which seems to have a dedi

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 7:57 AM

10 replies

Aug 26, 2014 9:58 AM in response to apassemard

It is indeed possible...and highly recommended....to extend using an Ethernet cable with an AirPort Express.

Let's first make sure that you really do have a 1st Gen AirPort Express......

Locate the model number on the side of the Express. It is hard to see.....gray lettering on a white background....so you may need a magnifying glass a good lighting.. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers. A 1st Gen AirPort Express is model number A 1264. Is that what you see?

Next, we need to know what operating system you are using on the device that will set up and configure the Airport Express. If you have a Mac, and are not what operating system it is using......click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

Aug 26, 2014 11:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello Bob, thanks for looking into the issue. I've seen you pretty active on the subject as I was researching for a solution.

My Express is an A1264

My Mac (Air - so doesn't have an Ethernet) is on 10.8.5

The Airport Utility is 6.3.1

The Extreme is on 7.6.4

and the Express is on 7.6.4 as well.

If I have a cross cable here is how it goes like this:

- Asks if I want to replace the Extreme with the Express.. To which I choose "other options"

- Then I say I want to "add to existing network"

- it goes ahead and tells me it is going to extend "wirelessly" (which is the issue) and I can only click Next.

- Then it goes in infinite loop tha I cannot kill.

So I did unplug the crossed cable because I assumed the loop is an actual loop in the network where traffic comes from the wifi on the express, then is sent to the extreme through the wire, then sent to the wifi, etc..

I replaced the cable with a straight cable at that point to retry the whole thing. I also reset the express.

The airport utility is still hanging and spinning in its infinite loop and I can't "force quit".

Then I get an error message (exprected), and I can try to start over.. Except the Express is showing as "connected" to the extreme with Ethernet (not the dotted line between the two units). This is really really strange..

I will check if that configuration holds and if I have a stronger wifi network in the room where the express is now...

I'll report back. I am very confused about this.. I have tries at least 7 or 8 times since yesterday..

Aug 26, 2014 11:11 PM in response to apassemard

Ok.. the network did go down after a minute or so.. right after I posted my first reply.. Seems more like a normal behavior..

So now I did exactly the same steps, but instead with a straight ethernet cable between the two devices. The Airport Utility does see the express (after I resetted it of course) and I try to add it.

- spin for a couple of minutes and says: "An unexpected error occurred. Try again"

I'm a bit stuck..

Thanks

Aug 27, 2014 4:53 AM in response to apassemard

So I thought maybe it has to do with the fact that I use a straight ethernet cable between the two and tried a crossed-cable, but that generates an error as soon as I try to add the express to the network with the utility.

Do NOT use a crossover cable for the Ethernet connection between the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express. Use a normal Ethernet cable.

Do you have an iPad or iPhone handy that could be used for the setup?

We will try some different things to see if we can get things setup, but you should know that there is a chance that you have a defective AirPort Express that will need to be replaced.

Aug 27, 2014 7:55 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I do have an ipad that I could use yes.

I tried one more thing yesterday: A full factory reset (holding the reset button while plugging the express back in the outlet and keep pressing for a long time). Once I did this and tried to reconfigure again, I didn't get the "An unexpected error occurred" and I went through the whole configuration quiet nicely. It did configure it as an extension with Ethernet so just what I wanted. The Airport Utility did show the right schema as well.

But then after a few minute the Extreme went down while the express was still showing as "green" in the utility and I ended up with a Wifi network alright but no internet (because the extreme is the point of exit to the internet).

What's the idea with ipad?

Aug 27, 2014 8:10 AM in response to apassemard

But then after a few minute the Extreme went down while the express was still showing as "green" in the utility and I ended up with a Wifi network alright but no internet (because the extreme is the point of exit to the internet).

So, now you are having problems with the AirPort Extreme? If that is the case, you should power off the AirPort Express and get the Extreme working reliably first, then add the AirPort Express back in to the network.

When you look at AirPort Utility, you want to see a solid line (which indicates an Ethernet connection) between the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express, not a dotted line (which indicates a wireless connection)

What's the idea with ipad?

It is generally more reliable to use an iPad or iPhone to configure the Express if that is needed.

Sep 3, 2014 8:16 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello Bob.. I tried another Airport Express to no avail.. roughly the same thing happens. The extension is automatically configured via wireless instead of wired even though their is a cable between the express and the extreme. I tested the cable by connecting a computer with it and it's working fine.

I can only come to the conclusion that this configuration is not possible with a first Gen Express.. Unless my Extreme is screwed up or does not support that.

😕

Sep 4, 2014 9:55 AM in response to apassemard

Replying to follow. Interested in the wireless bridging issues you are having

ANYONE that has bridging on a 6th gen AE with some other device (Airport Extreme/Express, Netgear, D-Link, etc.) without the WiFi freaking out please speak up.