Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Domain file does not open my iWeb websites after upgrading to Mavericks

I just upgraded to mavericks so i could use Media Composer to edit my new movie.

I backed up my computer and saved my domain file (which is over 1 gig large, as it has several websites I manage)

I went back to my original CD of iLife and re-installed iWeb

I then copied my backup of my domain file onto the library>application support>iWeb folder

iWeb program opens

but my website and their pages/files do not show on the left hand menu.

I have read on here that i need iWeb 09 (version 3.0) instead of iWeb 08 (version 2.0) but I cannot find such version in the apple website

When I check for upgrades it looks like my iWeb 2.0 (from my iLife 08) is the latest version.

Can someone help?

In the icon of the domain file which I backed up I see an image of the last page I updated before my back up.

I am assuming all the info is there but for some reason Mavericks is not allowing iWeb to see them?

Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 11:27 PM

No, well of course you won't find iWeb 09 for sale anywhere on the Apple website because Apple has not sold or supported iWeb for the last 2 years. You are using unsupported software, so you need to think about ditching iWeb and find some other software and slowly re-building all your sites with it.

iWeb 08 will not work with Mavericks, so that is correct, that if you want to open your sites, then yes, you'll need to upgrade to iWeb 09 and to do this, then you'll need to go to Amazon and see if they have any copies of either iLife 09 or iLife 11 - both of these boxed sets contain copies of iWeb 09 and then install this on your Mac.

The other thing is that if you have multiple sites and especially with iWeb 08 - iWeb 08 was not capable of opening individual domain files, so you would have had to have multiple domain files if you wanted to be able to publish your sites separately - I did this when I used iWeb 08, but iWeb 09 did away with the need for this, but with iWeb 09 and Mavericks, you are still unable to open individual domain files, so you'll need to download a copy of something called DomainCracker or iWeb Switch, which allows you to open multiple domain files. Remember also that the User Library is hidden in Mavericks, so to make it visible, you'll need to go to the Go menu in Finder and then click the 'alt' key to get to your User Library and it is your User Library/Application Support/iWeb where you need to place your domain.sites files.

Ultimately though, you need to get a copy of iWeb 09, which you cannot get from Apple - so have a look on Amazon and then you'll need to think about investing in new software that is supported, so take a look at EverWeb and perhaps consider purchasing this - but it would mean slowly re-building all your websites.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2014 11:27 PM in response to JuanCarlosZaldivar

No, well of course you won't find iWeb 09 for sale anywhere on the Apple website because Apple has not sold or supported iWeb for the last 2 years. You are using unsupported software, so you need to think about ditching iWeb and find some other software and slowly re-building all your sites with it.

iWeb 08 will not work with Mavericks, so that is correct, that if you want to open your sites, then yes, you'll need to upgrade to iWeb 09 and to do this, then you'll need to go to Amazon and see if they have any copies of either iLife 09 or iLife 11 - both of these boxed sets contain copies of iWeb 09 and then install this on your Mac.

The other thing is that if you have multiple sites and especially with iWeb 08 - iWeb 08 was not capable of opening individual domain files, so you would have had to have multiple domain files if you wanted to be able to publish your sites separately - I did this when I used iWeb 08, but iWeb 09 did away with the need for this, but with iWeb 09 and Mavericks, you are still unable to open individual domain files, so you'll need to download a copy of something called DomainCracker or iWeb Switch, which allows you to open multiple domain files. Remember also that the User Library is hidden in Mavericks, so to make it visible, you'll need to go to the Go menu in Finder and then click the 'alt' key to get to your User Library and it is your User Library/Application Support/iWeb where you need to place your domain.sites files.

Ultimately though, you need to get a copy of iWeb 09, which you cannot get from Apple - so have a look on Amazon and then you'll need to think about investing in new software that is supported, so take a look at EverWeb and perhaps consider purchasing this - but it would mean slowly re-building all your websites.

Aug 28, 2014 6:54 AM in response to JuanCarlosZaldivar

Okay, so firstly, it is NOT iWeb 11, but iLife 11, which contains a copy of iWeb 09 - iWeb 11 does not and never will exist. It is iLife 09 or iLife 11 that both contain iWeb 09 - you do need to be correct about it.

Regarding DomainCracker, did you not think to do a Google search? If you have put in DomainCracker it would have come up with lots of info on it.

All you need to do to get it is go to Roddy's website at www.iwebformusicians.com/iweb/mountain-lion.htmland you can download it from there straight away.

Aug 28, 2014 8:39 AM in response to JuanCarlosZaldivar

To open your domain file in Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script"/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Optionsmenu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2015 9:17 AM in response to clintcornell

clintcornell:

If you're moving your website from another web development app to iWeb I strongly suggest you forget iWeb. It's been discontinued and unsupported for over 2 years. Since you'll have to start from scratch it's time to migrate to a modern, supported application.

One that many have migrated to because it is so like iWeb in it's user interface and functions is EverWeb. It has a demo version you can use to see if you like it.

In any case this is not the time to start over using iWeb.

Mar 2, 2015 9:36 AM in response to clintcornell

Don't even bother to move a WordPress site to iWeb now. If you have it in WordPress then leave it in WordPress.

Have you not bothered to read of of the posts here? If not, then I would strongly suggest that you do so.

iWeb is an unsupported product, so don't build any new sites with it now. If you have a site in WordPress, then keep it that way and don't even bother!

Mar 25, 2015 8:56 AM in response to JuanCarlosZaldivar

To open your domain file in Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script"/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, 10.9 , go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

Domain file does not open my iWeb websites after upgrading to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.