Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reinstall bootcamp assistant

I went into utilities->boot camp assistant->show package contents->contents->Info.plist and changed some of the code and now boot camp assistant always quits unexpectedly when I try to open it. How do I reset this program or what can I do. I am trying to duel boot my mac to run windows 7 premium home 64 bit. I am trying to use a flash drive with windows 7 .iso file but I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I pay $60 for windows and I can't even install it. There are so many errors and stupid formatting crap to do and now boot camp assistant doesn't work. I watched some guy on youtube and followed him exactly and now my bootcamp is messed. Someone please help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 6:45 PM

Do you have Time Machine backup configured for your Mac?

What Mac year/model do you have?

Do you remember what you changed in info.plist? Can you post a link of the youtube video?

76 replies

Aug 26, 2014 6:58 PM in response to Tomcat407

Can you check the permissions on the file? This is what it should be for an unchanged file (these commands are run from OSX Terminal).

ls -l /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 3202 May 16 08:42 /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

openssl md5 /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

MD5(/Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist)= b442f42b6fd6b52471f224bd6844d4a5

Aug 26, 2014 7:13 PM in response to Loner T

You know what, I went back to the youtube video and looked at the forum he attached and someone there wrote how to solve the problem...but your right too...I had to change some code because I'm running mavericks and I needed to enter a code into terminal to stop boot camp from quitting...i think it was something about permissions...but thank you very much anyway...its nice to know people there are people like you that care...peace

Aug 30, 2014 3:07 PM in response to Loner T

Dear!!

I just have changed my Boot camp Info.plist to make it support making USB installing drives on my Mac, after i changed Info.plist Boot camp crashes and then it didn't run after several attempts, then after searching for solutions i open terminal and write the code sudo codesign -fs - /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app, then it appears as /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app: replacing existing signature. After that i still can't open my boot camp assistant app, every time i try to open it, a message pop up like, "Boot Camp Assistant can't be open error -1712

I'am beginner here using Macbook Pro 13,, OSX 10.9.4 Mavericks

P.S Help me in his regards if you can, I'll be thaksfull to you :-|😟

Aug 30, 2014 3:48 PM in response to shaharyar696

It looks like after your code-signed, the application is running, and you are trying got start a second instance. Can you check Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor and enter 'boot' in the top right hand search box which looks like a magnifying glass. Does it return any information? If yes, click on it and Force Quit the application.

How to reinstall bootcamp assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.