Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airtport Utility can't find Airport Time Capsule on either of my 2009 Macs

I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro & a mid 2009 MacPro. Both are running Mavericks at the moment. I bought the time capsule mid 2013 and I have NEVER been able to use it as a back up because neither of my computers recognize it. The only reason I was able to set up the internet was because I used my iphone to do it. I've searched and tried everything, resetting, updating the firmware and still nothing. My devices don't recognize anything on the network either so I can't use airdrop and hooking up a printer to the time capsule is pointless. For a while I thought that it may be the actual Time Capsule that was messed up but I tested it out on my friend's brand new Macbook air and it popped up just fine on her airport utility. I'm so beyond frustrated with this thing any help is appreciated.

Posted on Aug 27, 2014 10:47 AM

6 replies

Aug 27, 2014 2:04 PM in response to cinipod

Do a manual setup of the TC in full isolation from the network.

Run through the method I posted here.. if anything doesn't work tell me but this is pretty much bullet proof.

Airport Utility shows "unexpected error - please try again" when connecting to Time Capsule

The reason I suggest this is to remove wireless which is pretty much required for the current setup.. I want you to do the whole setup manually and by ethernet only.

Sep 3, 2014 11:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ok so I've spent the last couple hours messing with it with no luck. I did the complete reset and when it was back to factory settings it still didn't show up in airport utility but it did end up showing up under the "Other Wi-Fi devices" But Once I clicked on it I got this error:

User uploaded file

Tried it a few times, restarted everything but no luck.

So I connected it it with the ethernet and followed your directions on setting it up isolated from everything else. But once I finished the set up it still didn't show up, it even disappeared from the "Other Wi-fi Devices". I tried connecting it back to my modem but couldn't get the internet to work so I reset it again and set it up with my iphone again because I need internet.

So I'm back where I started, doesn't show anywhere in the airport utility. Though I did figure out that I can connect to the configuration settings by going to "Configure Other" and putting in the address and password even though it's not connected through the ethernet anymore. I still can't get it my time machine to connect to it though.

Sep 4, 2014 12:51 AM in response to cinipod

You mean you broke the bullet proof method.. !! Darn.. thing.

I would seriously consider taking it back to apple for testing.

These are the steps for manual configuration.

Please confirm every step.

1. IPv6 is set to link local in ethernet (wireless is turned off).

2. TC LAN port is plugged into the computer by ethernet.. and nothing else. No WAN connection.. no other connection.

3. Factory reset.

4. Make sure you are getting an IP in the computer from the TC.. Computer must be 10.0.1.2 the router must show 10.0.1.1 after a reset.

User uploaded file

5. Open the airport utility and go to the top menu area. Open File / Configure Other.

User uploaded file

6. Type in your IP address.. after a factory reset there is no password required. But if it complains it is public

Click ok.

User uploaded file

7. You will then get the full edit screens where you can manually setup the TC to whatever you want.

User uploaded file

8. For mavericks I strongly recommend changing to all SMB compatible names, ie short 2-20 characters.

No spaces and Pure alphanumeric.

eg

User uploaded file

9. Use same rules for wireless. Set security to WPA2 Personal..

use a password of 10-20 characters mixed case and numbers... but still pure alphanumeric.

User uploaded file

You can use a different name for 5ghz if you want.

User uploaded file

You can also set channels at least for 2.4ghz I am not sure if 5ghz is relevant for AC models.

10. Set up correct mode. Open the network tab.

either router. This is what NAT means.. that the TC becomes a NAT router.

User uploaded file

or bridge. That makes the TC into a non-routing device.. WAN is allocated to LAN and

the TC is a dumb Wireless Access Point, Switch and network hard disk.

User uploaded file

11. Make sure the Internet is set correctly.. for most people it will be dhcp.

PPPoE is for adsl bridged modems in the most part.

(Static is tricky and generally used

only when the ISP allocates you a block of IPs.. although I use it for changing DNS. )

User uploaded file

If this fails you have shot the bullet proof method. Therefore the TC is faulty.. computer is faulty or the ethernet cable is faulty.

Sep 4, 2014 11:00 PM in response to cinipod

On another note, I just figured out how to back up my time machine to it wirelessly even though I can't connect with the airport utility. I just went to Connect to Server, typed AFP://10.0.1.1, put in the device password I set during set up. Once it mounts the drive then I can select it directly in the time machine preferences without having to go through the airport utility

Sep 4, 2014 11:12 PM in response to cinipod

If you can manually mount the TC in Finder.. using the 10.0.1.1 address.

Look at the picture I have numbered 6. Did you type 10.0.1.1 into the airport utility to manually configure it.. I see no reason for it to fail if Finder is successful.

Please use v5 utility.. even if you use that miserable heap of junk v6 airport utility and Mavericks.

You can actually run v5 utility with a bit of twisting and poking.

http://coreyjmahler.com/2013/10/24/airport-utility-5-6-1-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks/

Airtport Utility can't find Airport Time Capsule on either of my 2009 Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.