Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail can receive mail but won't send mail

My apple mail version 7.3 has never had any problems connecting with my gmail account, but recently whenever I try to send an email, it goes straight to the outbox and then a popup saying "Gmail cannot connect to the server" or something like that comes up. It asks me to enter my password, and I do and then it just pops up the same error again. I have tried changing my password and made sure I am entering it correctly but it just does not work. I can receive mail fine.

If anyone can help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2014 1:08 PM

13 replies

Nov 11, 2014 10:33 AM in response to npetrillo18

Hey there, this took me a second too. For anyone else who has this problem:

After checking and making sure the password is correct, noticed the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): Gmail (offline). Using the Drop Down where this is, select "Edit SMTP Server List"--> Click "Advanced" --> check the password here.

For whatever reason, it still had my old password (could tell by the number of digits). Update password here and should be good to go!

Apple mail can receive mail but won't send mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.