Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did iTunes Match delete all my imported cd music?

Hey. So I was playing around with my iphone 5 and being the music addict I am I decided to take the plunge for the iTunes Match and subscribed to it. It sounded too good to be true - and like most things it is. I had over 8000 songs in my library - 75% of which were imported from CDs from years ago (I was and am a music junkie and bought the new CDs when they released prior to iPods, iTunes, etc.) I spent hours and hours importing the music years ago and now its gone. Poof!!! Vanished. It's only showing a small portion of the songs I purchased as well. I have whole albums and soundtracks that I purchased from iTunes missing in addition to the imported music. I have tried turning it off and then my library is completely empty. I am not very tech savvy so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iPhone 5

Posted on Aug 27, 2014 1:11 PM

11 replies

Aug 27, 2014 1:57 PM in response to sb7701

Can you provide more detail. Was all your music on your computers hard drive and has iTunes Match completed its scan of your iTunes library?

Match does not do anything to your files other than match or upload them. They should still be on your hard drive unless you have opted to delete them. Do you have a separate back up on an external hard drive?

Jim

Aug 27, 2014 2:12 PM in response to sb7701

Unfortunately I have been a bad girl and have not done a computer back up in forever. When I went onto my computer and started iTunes I logged in and it automatically listed the iTunes Match songs but none of the others are showing. Our computer crashed last year and so I have been relying on my iPhone and iPad to store my music collection. I haven't synced to a computer in over a year. I know - that's bad but it's just been easier - until now. Like I previously stated I am not very good with computers so I wouldn't even know where to look for any music on it besides my iTunes folder. None of the other songs are on there that I can see. Please be nice to me. I have seen some of the replies on other threads and the last thing I want is someone cutting me down due to my lack of tech skills. Thanks.

Aug 27, 2014 2:30 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

I should also add that the TV shows I purchased through the Apple store are not showing up in my iTunes account now as well. Including movies I paid for also. WTH?? I paid for those and now they're gone as well. See my other post in response to your question. I am new to this and didn't see the reply button for your comment. Sorry.

Aug 27, 2014 2:58 PM in response to sb7701

So I plugged my phone into my computer and in iTunes when I click on the 'on this iPhone' I see all my previous playlists and music on my computer. Its there but I can't figure it out - how do I get my phone to show the playlists and songs when it's not plugged in. I unplug my phone from the computer and it goes back to no playlists and only iTunes match songs again. Does that even make sense? I'm afraid to sync it and lose it all. Please help. Thanks.

Aug 28, 2014 1:56 AM in response to sb7701

Hi,

Do you have any music on your iPhone? Have you tried to sync your iPad yet? Do you have any music on your computer? Did you actually have 8000 tracks on your iOS devices? Do you still have the original CDs?

You can download past purchases Download past purchases I suggest that you do this first on your computer.

You may find music in your iTunes folder under heading of music iTunes: Understanding iTunes Media Organization

Also have read at the following:

Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device

iTunes Match on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Jim

Aug 28, 2014 4:51 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Also, I read all the articles suggested (plus many more) and tried every suggestion including buying a couple of music programs to 'find' the music on the computer and phone and save it to later add into iTunes. None of that worked.

To answer your questions more in depth:

1. The music is still on my phone I just can't get to it. When I plug it into iTunes, as I explained above in another reply, it shows the original music and playlists on my phone - on iTunes (under the 'on this iPhone' tab). However, for whatever reason, it isn't showing the music on my actual iPhone device. On my iPhone it only shows the matched music with no playlists. If I turn match off then all the music disappears and it's empty. However, when I check the space available on my phone it shows that there is music on there - a lot of it - none of it is showing up in my music app for some reason.

2. Same thing with my iPad. It shows it's on there in iTunes 'on this iPad' but not on the actual iPad music. Same thing with the space - there's music there when match is off but my music is completely empty - not a single song in the music app.

3. I have music on my computer but it is all iTunes only music. I can't find any of the imported CD music on the computer. The only music file on my computer is iTunes. Again, as I stated before, I have not been syncing my phone since the computer crash since I knew it would ask to sync my phone and delete all existing music on it to replace it with the iTunes library on the computer - which I didn't want to happen since it didn't have all the music in the library.

4. I really did have most of those songs on my iPhone. I don't store anything else on there - no movies, no shows, no audio books, very few photos and apps, etc. I mainly used it for music and as a phone in emergencies.

5. I do have most of the original CDs. It will take hours for me to import them all AGAIN. I buy local and regional artists' music on CDs at shows and plays. I record a lot of my own music and that of my children as well to listen to. Most (if not all) of it isn't available in iTunes. Should I stop supporting local artists all because their music and work isn't on iTunes? Of course not. This is the only way for some of them to make money in the beginning of their careers.

In closing, I tried to download my purchases but Apple is claiming there is an error with most of the tracks and they can't be re-downloaded. Very convenient especially since most of the songs are still in the Apple iTunes store - and where they use to show 'purchased' they are now showing a price of $1.29 - meaning I can buy them again if I choose to do so.

I am done trying and am going to try another music program for my music from now on. There are too many issues and not enough actual answers that help besides the usual "try to download your purchases again" and "read these help topics - they are the answer to your issue". I am not the only person having this issue as I have read dozens of threads on here and other forums of people having the same issue and the only answer they are getting is the same as what I mentioned before. This is a known problem and has been for a while and Apple is not doing anything to resolve the issue.

Thank you for help and for replying to my post. I truly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to try to help me. Thanks again.

Feb 17, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

After downloading songs from iTunes match onto my iphone they disappear shortly after. The only songs that stay loaded on my phone are songs that I downloaded directly from iTunes. When I turn on iTunes match my whole list is there which is fine but I want a smaller list of songs downloaded on my phone that I can listen to when I don't have wifi.

Feb 26, 2015 9:19 PM in response to sb7701

Is there any update to your situation?

Cause I have something similar too :/

I had imported songs downloaded into my desktop computer as well as on my ipod and I have no idea where I put the CDs that contained the songs. So just recently, both my desktop computer and ipod stopped working. As in the keyboard wont work as well as the cursor and the ipod will not turn on.

So I'm thinking, "Oh thats fine, all my songs are in itunes." A few months later (since my ipod stopped working, ive been using the radio), I decided to download itunes (now) to my rebooted laptop (everythings been erased because of some internet connection problem) and I do not see any of the songs Ive imported from CDs.

I even made some playlists back then but I do not see it, even with the songs I bought on itunes.

If anyone has a solution, please help?

thank you!

Jan 1, 2016 8:43 AM in response to sb7701

Did you ever get an answer on this? I'm having the same problem because my PC crashed and I bought a MacBook Air. The hard drive on my old PC I cannot access so I can't get to the 11000 songs that I have on there which I did not purchase on iTunes, but I did purchase legally when I bought the CD. I agree with you it's frustrating, and it takes a long time to upload all those CDs. Is there anyone that can help us? Thanks for your input in I hope that we can get an

Oct 4, 2016 3:53 PM in response to SweetMelissa_605

This is ridiculous that apple not only does this to force corner you and force you to buy through them, but they also do not offer any real help here. They just sending you on rabbit trails and don't answer your question.

I have legitimately purchased CDs, and no matter my settings, they always get deleted on my devices, a couple times a year this drives me crazy. I really am starting to hate Apple over this.

If any support person can actually give good info, please do. uurrrrrgggggghhh

Why did iTunes Match delete all my imported cd music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.