Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get space back after failed partition

I have a macbook Mid 2010 13 inch.

I tried to Partiton my hardrive for bootcamp which was going fine. i then accidentally cancelled it in the middle of partitioning and now its saying that there is only 87GB of memory left

Please help!!

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2014 3:37 PM

16 replies

Aug 27, 2014 3:52 PM in response to ADAM_GOFF1

If you run Bootcamp Assistant, does it give you an option to remove Windows?

Can you post the output of the following commands? These will ask you for your administrator password. They do not change anything on your system.

diskutil list (this should provide a list of disks. Pick the correct disk for the next two commands which was intended for Bootcamp use. This should in most cases be disk0).

sudo fdisk /dev/<BootcampDisk>

sudo gpt -vv -r /dev/<BootcampDisk>

Apr 16, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Loner T

Hi, I did the same thing except it was through manual partitioning! I've tried verify and repair disk various times and also from cmd +r reboot screen in disk utility but it doesn't work. Someone who done the same (on Lion OS) said they got the memory back by reinstalling the OS, I don't mind doing that if it will work but I'm not sure what happens to data, should I erase the drive first before re-installing the OS if that would work? (I don't mind losing some data to fix my stupid mistake though!)

I'd really appreciate some help, I'm such an idiot! (an idiot that really wants 200gb of memory back!!!)

Apr 16, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Loner T

In case you were wondering, I have never really used terminal so I clearly have no idea what I'm doing!

If it's any use this is what it says under storage in 'About this mac' :

User uploaded file

Essentially saying I only have 249.62GB capacity but in disk utility it has this:

User uploaded file

Capacity is still at 498.88GB but 201.15GB is being "used". It also says "Encrypted Logical Partition" when I'm assuming it should be Mac OS X Extended Journal...

Apr 16, 2015 2:27 PM in response to cbradleyy23

1. You have FileVault encryption turned on. This creates a CoreStorage logical volume.

2. Your entire disk is contained in this CS volume.

3. Your physical disk is 500Gb, while your CS volume is 499Gb. There is about 19MB free in the CS volume.

4. The HFS+ volume is contained within this CS volume. Can you turn off FileVault (at least temporarily) - OS X: About FileVault 2 - Apple Support?

5. Once FV2 is turned off, I suggest a Disk Utility Repair. Your volume should become a JHFS+ volume.

6. At this point the partition should show you disk space properly.

7. FV2 can then be turned back on (it takes a while to encrypt the whole disk) and the disk space can be verified.

Apr 16, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Loner T

Ok wow! Thank you, you are really smart!!

I'm going to try this and I'll report back, since it's quite late here I'll do it tomorrow. I only have 2 more questions (I swear) - should I do disk repair in the reboot mode (cmd +r disk utility)? and once i turn FV2 back on is that when it encrypts the whole disk?

Thanks again! I truly appreciate your patience 🙂

Apr 16, 2015 2:58 PM in response to cbradleyy23

Thank you, you are really smart!!

Not until your problem is addressed. 😉

I only have 2 more questions (I swear) - should I do disk repair in the reboot mode (cmd +r disk utility)? and once i turn FV2 back on is that when it encrypts the whole disk?

No, OSX supports live Repair of volumes. Yes, once FV2 is turned off, the disk is no longer encrypted. Once you turn FV2 back on, it starts the encryption process. Be aware that till this encryption process completes, OS X will not allow any new partitioning activities. You Repair and Verify button say also be grayed out.

How to get space back after failed partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.