Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Mavericks can't be installed because a recovery system can't be created

When I try to upgrade my Macbook pro (Late 2011) from lion to Mavericks, the computer restarts and begins to download the new OSX, but then I get a message saying the download failed because OSX can't be installed because a recovery system can't be created. What can I do in order to get Mavericks to work on my computer?

Posted on Aug 27, 2014 6:42 PM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2014 7:28 PM in response to Susan Iadevaia

I would suggest that you look at this link and make sure your computer can do Internet Recovery before you make any changes.

Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery

You may want to remove personal information from a public forum.

If you have a full backup, would you be willing to erase the disk and install Mavericks from scratch? If you have a time machine backup, you can always restore your account and personal files (without the Lion OS). A backup would be highly recommended before the upgrade any way.

OSX Mavericks can't be installed because a recovery system can't be created

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.