Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move iPhoto time machine backup to new computer

I've got an old iMac that's about to crash and is extremely slow. I have a time machine backup and all I want to bring over is the iPhoto Library. How do I do this? I can't restore the iPhoto library on the new mac, right? And I tried to use migration assistant but it wouldn't pick out just my Library, I could transfer items like my applications, documents and data, and settings but I couldn't actually drill down to just the iPhoto Library. Can I simply copy the iPhoto library from the Time Machine Backup in the external hard drive into the new computer?

Thank you

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 27, 2014 8:46 PM

34 replies

Aug 27, 2014 9:02 PM in response to Canozzie11

No

but you can copy it from your old mac - Connect the two Macs together (network, firewire target mode, etc) or use an external hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward.

LN

Aug 27, 2014 9:07 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry and thanks for your quick reply.

The old computer is terribly slow and I was afraid it might die in the process. I've got a wireless Time Capsule, do I just drag and drop the photo library onto it? What would be the safest fastest way?

Also, I thought as long as I have a Time Machine backup I'm always safe. If I can't use the Time Machine backup in this instance, when can I use it? Only to restore on existing computer and a full data migration?

One more...Why can't I specifically choose the iPhoto library in Migration Assistant?

Thanks

Connie

Aug 27, 2014 9:18 PM in response to Canozzie11

best solution is to copy from your old Mac - again Connect the two Macs together (network, firewire target mode, etc) or use an external hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward.

The speed of this copy should not be affected by anything on your old computer unless the HD is dyeing

Tm should protect you but it hast to be restored - not copies - copying from the old Mc is the very best way

As to why you can't do anything - could be many reasons - which is beyond the scope of this four - but Migration assistant has a very poor record in working with the iPhoto library so it is fortunately that it will not let you try that

LN

Aug 27, 2014 9:33 PM in response to LarryHN

Ok will try...But I suspect my old computer has hard drive issues and is why it's terribly slow. i mean really slow, takes like15 minutes to start up.

So just to confirm, I can just use the network and drag and drop from my old computer to Time Capsule, right?

Here's another quick one. If my old computer was dead, what would have been my option assuming I only had the Time Machine copy?

Aug 27, 2014 10:12 PM in response to Canozzie11

You can try to "inherit" your old backup to be able to browse it on the new mac and to restore from it using Time Machine. When you "inherit" the backup, you are able to restore single files or the iPhoto Library. See Pondini's FAQ:

B6. "Reconnecting" to your backups: http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html

B5. Would you like to inherit (or re-use) the backup . . . ?: http://pondini.org/TM/B5.html

The easiest way to be able to use the Time Machine backup an old Mac however, is to set a new mac up with "Setup Assistant", the first moment, when you set up a new Mac and are asked how you want to transfer data.If you use Setup Assistant to migrate the settings of your Mac from the old mac and your home folder. You inherit the Time Machine backup, and your user account will be the same user as on your old mac and you avoid all kind of permission problems. Transferring later complicates things, because you already have created a new and different user account.

I've got an old iMac that's about to crash and is extremely slow.

What makes you think, the old mac is about to crash? If it is only slowness and general unresponsiveness, check, how full your disk is. Sometimes a Mac just looks like having hardware trouble, when you allow the free disk space to drop below a critical minimum of at least 10GB of free disk space.

Aug 27, 2014 10:52 PM in response to léonie

Surely there's an easier way to get my iPhoto library back than to have to use Terminal which scares most end users....I didn't realize Time Machine could only be used in very specific instances. Looks like we need to make manual copies which is much more reliable. A bit disappointing...

And I have more than 30% left on my old mac, 8 Gig's of Ram....no apparent reason for it being slow that I can see. Although the iPhoto library is 300 Gig, pretty big. I wanted to get my library onto my new computer before doing a permission and disk repair.

I think I'll try just moving it from the old slow mac and hope it doesn't crash in the mean time. If it does crash, is the only option "inheriting" using Terminal?

Aug 27, 2014 11:16 PM in response to Canozzie11

It would have been simple, if you had used the Time Machine backup, when you set up your mac to migrate at least the settings with Setup Assistant (not Migration Assistant). Then everything would have been automatic and and no Terminal necessary to be able to use your old Time Machine backup through Time Machine. Unfortunately you did not use that easy opportunity to inherit the old backup. And then the only options are to wipe your new mac and start over again, this time by using the Setup Assistant, or to try to fix it using the Terminal. But don't do that, if you are not comfortable with the Terminal.

Copy your library over, if that are the only files that need restoring.

Aug 28, 2014 12:36 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie,

I'll try copying the library. Am just worried the old computer will crash in the process, in which case I will only have the Time Machine backup of my photos.

If it does crash, would it be better to restore my brand new computer back to the Set Up Assistant? (it has nothing on it yet so I have no problem restoring). Also, the Setup Assistant has the same interface as the Migration Assistant so I just thought doing it later was actually performing the same exact thing. Larry says Migration Assistant has not been great with iPhotos...Is it the same with Setup assistant? Also, does Setup Assistant give me the option to choose just the iPhoto library? I don't want to bring over anything else...

Thanks again.

Aug 30, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad. So is the old computer with the iPhoto Library the one I start up in Target Mode? It usually takes a really long time to start up and every time I turn it off and restart again I always wince thinking it will die. Is starting up in Target Mode less likely to cause problems in start up mode? Are we actually starting up the computer?

Thank you very much

Sep 1, 2014 12:52 AM in response to Old Toad

Argh! I've tried to do the transfer in Target Mode but then I got a message saying "Finder cannot complete operation because some of the data in iPhoto cannot be read or written"...?

Does this mean there is something wrong with my iPhotos? I'm able to open it in my old computer no problem. Just takes a long time to open.

What other option do I have? I have the Time Machine backup of it on an external Hard Drive so how can I get this over to the new mac? According to above posts, I can only do this with the set up assistant...Should I re-install the OS on the new Mac and start from scratch, wait for the setup assistant to ask for Time Machine back up?

Please help!

Sep 1, 2014 1:09 AM in response to Canozzie11

Argh! I've tried to do the transfer in Target Mode but then I got a message saying "Finder cannot complete operation because some of the data in iPhoto cannot be read or written"...?

Have you tried to transfer the "iPhoto" application? You need to transfer the iPhoto Library from your Applications folder.

Is there an "Error -36" with the error message? The message above can be caused by a single file in the iPhoto Library package that is corrupted and cannot be read, perhaps caused by bad blocks on your old drive or illegal characters or similar in the filename.

In that case you can open the iPhoto library from the Finder and copy it over in parts: Be very careful not to change anything inside when you are doing this.

Do the following:

• Connect the two macs again in Target Disk Mode.
  • Create a new folder in your Pictures folder on the new mac.
  • Select the iPhoto library on your old drive, ctrl-click it, and use the command "Show Package Content":
  • Try to drag the content over to your new folder in Pictures on the new mac. Do this in easy instalments, folder by folder.
  • At some stage you will hit the file or folder that cannot be copied. If it is a folder, open it and copy the content separately. If it is a single file, skip it and take a note of what is missing. Tell us here, which file could not be copied.

Then rename the folder you copied your library to as "iPhotoLibraryFromOldMac.photolibrary" and double-click it to open it in iPhoto.

Sep 1, 2014 1:17 AM in response to léonie

1. I transferred the iPhoto library that was sitting in the Pictures folder on my old mac. I thought transferring iPhotos from the Applications folder would just transfer the App and not the contents of my actual library? Should I redo the target disk mode and transfer the applications iPhoto??

2. Yes, error 36. What will I see when I "show package contents"? Is there a bunch of folders depicting my events or are they in any particular order? If I transfer these files into the new library will I lose all the organization I have done? And do I do all this as well as no 1. above?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm in a bit of a panic here...

How do I move iPhoto time machine backup to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.