Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extract .RAR files?

just wondering what freeware program i can use to extract .rar files. i use to use winrar for my pc.not quite sure if i can still use it fro my mac.any suggestions?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 19, 2006 9:09 AM

5 replies

Sep 19, 2006 12:15 PM in response to j.white

Please dont keep stuffit in business. They are an archaic format and their compression is proprietary. Everyone has left .sit files behind and have moved over to the fully supported .zip format.

Here is a great little program:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22774

If you want to try something else, here is a list:

http://www.macupdate.com/utilities.php?sub=3

Again, please do not keep Stuffit alive!

Sep 19, 2006 5:53 PM in response to j.white

Welcome. Stuffit is a company that releases the program Stuffit Expander (free) and Stuffit Deluxe (not free) to open .sit and .sitx archives.

If you want to make those archives, you need Stuffit Deluxe, which you pay for. The problem is the compression is proprietary. There are plenty of alternatives (like zip) that are free to open (and natively in Mac OS X). They are better alternatives because a) they are built in and require no outside program, and b) they are free compression algorithms.

Companies like Stuffit like to get as many people to use their .sit and .sitx archives as possible because it keeps them in business and takes money from your pocket.

Stick to free alternatives so you don't hand over control to companies like Stuffit who can take their compression in any direction they feel like. There is nothing stopping them from charging for Stuffit Expander. Now if everything on your computer was compressed with .sit, then you wouldn't be to happy about that...

They just added rar support (and others) to get more people to use it.

Extract .RAR files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.