Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a MacBook Pro be used with an Apple Monitor?

I have an OLD iMac (2007) which is very much on its last legs. 2 GB and supposedly cannot add more. The Apple store won't even work on it because it is too old. HD was replaced 6 mos ago. Now it won't recognize my Keyboard. Cannot upgrade beyond 10.6.8, but I need to to use updated Photo software. But the screen still is nice.

Also have a newer, but still old 17" MacBookPro (2010 or 11). Just upgraded that to 10.9.4, but it is very very slow now. 4GB, 2.66 processor.

Need a new computer, I think.

Here's the problem - I live one place for 6 mos, and in another place for 6 mos. I like to take the laptop back & forth with me, but a laptop is just too small a screen for photo work, and it's not good ergonomically either. BUT I really don't want a full imac dektop computer in both locations due to cost considerations.

So can I use my Laptop (I'd get a new MBP) as my computer but somehow attach it to an external monitor, or even use the monitor of the OLD iMac I have now? THat would entail buying 1 or 2 monitors, which I assume would be much less money than 2 computers.

OR - I'm not too sure how an iPad would work - but maybe I just go with the two iMac's, and use an iPad for travel?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 9:18 AM

1. Your computer can be used with an external display.

2. Using that iMac as a monitor would require a product such as ScreenRecycler, and all of them require that the computer work.

(111647)

4 replies

Aug 28, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Niel

Thanks again - exactly what I needed to know.

WHat happens if you do not disconnect the computer from the Monitor correctly?

FROM THE INSTRUCTION LINK:

"For best results it is recommend that you put your computer to sleep before disconnecting your display.

Note: Some DVI and Mini DisplayPort displays—including Apple's aluminum-framed DVI displays and the 24-inch and 27-inch LED Cinema Displays—can be unplugged without putting the computer to sleep. If you aren't sure whether your display supports this feature, put your computer to sleep before unplugging the display."

Can a MacBook Pro be used with an Apple Monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.