Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocked caller still ringing through to iPhone 5S

For the past year or so, I've "curated" a contact called "Spammers", adding 15 phone numbers and an email address for annoying bot dialers and text message spammers. The contact is Blocked. But for some reason, their calls are still coming through and ringing my phone. I've tried unblocking the contact and re-blocking it, to no avail. Any ideas?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 6:45 PM

I found something out about this subject today. I'd been adding spam numbers to an existing contact called "spam" that I had previously blocked. However some numbers kept getting through despite being listed in that contact. My spam contact has 22 numbers in it now and I didn't understand why some kept getting through. Then I discovered this: go to settings -> phone -> blocked callers and at the bottom of the list, click to add a new blocked caller. Select the existing spam contact again and when you go back to the list, it will have been repopulated with every number from the spam contact. Originally my list only showed 4 numbers. Now it shows all 22. The 18 numbers I've added since originally blocking the contact are now successfully being blocked too. It seems that ios offers the ability to block a contact but in reality all that does is scour the contact and add all the numbers in it to the block list. If you keep adding numbers afterwards, none of those will get blocked until you select that contact and add them to the blocking again. This cured a problem I've had for months now. If you use this technique (having a contact full of spam numbers) then this method should cure your problem.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2017 6:45 PM in response to Oldbie

I found something out about this subject today. I'd been adding spam numbers to an existing contact called "spam" that I had previously blocked. However some numbers kept getting through despite being listed in that contact. My spam contact has 22 numbers in it now and I didn't understand why some kept getting through. Then I discovered this: go to settings -> phone -> blocked callers and at the bottom of the list, click to add a new blocked caller. Select the existing spam contact again and when you go back to the list, it will have been repopulated with every number from the spam contact. Originally my list only showed 4 numbers. Now it shows all 22. The 18 numbers I've added since originally blocking the contact are now successfully being blocked too. It seems that ios offers the ability to block a contact but in reality all that does is scour the contact and add all the numbers in it to the block list. If you keep adding numbers afterwards, none of those will get blocked until you select that contact and add them to the blocking again. This cured a problem I've had for months now. If you use this technique (having a contact full of spam numbers) then this method should cure your problem.

Jan 16, 2017 8:40 PM in response to chrisell

chrisell wrote:

This cured a problem I've had for months now. If you use this technique (having a contact full of spam numbers) then this method should cure your problem.

The other option is to block the calls from your recent list as they come in, then delete them from Recents. There's no need to keep them stored in you Contacts. You're just adding an extra step.

Dec 8, 2017 7:06 PM in response to Howard Brazee

This may work for you, when I desire to see the number used (of the "Telemarketer - Scammer" contact [blocked with a silent ringtone]), I will tap the blue "i" of "Telemarketer - Scammer" in Recents, and scroll down until I see the actual number that just called, highlighted in red. (Sometimes the contact has up to 100 numbers. After awhile, I will cull or edit or trim the list of numbers down.) I believe that this only works for the last unwanted call.

Jan 12, 2018 2:24 PM in response to seachelle01

seachelle01 wrote:

(insult to injury, they actually say "If you do not wish to receive further calls, press 1 to be removed from our list." I swear, pressing 1 had the opposite effect. I seem to have only gotten more calls since doing that.)

Correct. Pressing anything confirms that your phone number is a working number. They then sell this information.

Aug 28, 2014 12:57 PM in response to Oldbie

Don't know that this will help with that, but in case you aren't aware, you don't need to add a phone number to a contact in order to block the number. After a call is received you can open the Phone app, tap Recents, tap the blue "i" in a circle to the right of the number and then tap "Block this caller" at the bottom of the screen (may need to scroll up to see that option).

Feb 13, 2015 11:18 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

If I were to venture a guess, based on personal experience, the problem is directly related to call centers with hundreds of telemarketers or robocallers working from a single call list. Each "caller" might show up on your phone Creepoids Inc., but the *actual* dial-out device could be different from what you've blocked on your phone by a digit or two, even if it appears identical on your screen.

If I were extend the guess, VoIP exacerbates the problem yet further.

Jul 30, 2015 4:09 PM in response to paperqueen

I'm having the same issue as the OP and I know it's the same phone number I've previously blocked. When the call comes in I see my "Telemarketer" contact show on the screen, rather than the caller ID. I can go into the history and see the number that particular person called from.

Maybe not so coincidentally, I also have 15 numbers in my telemarketer contact. Maybe there is a limit per contact.

Blocked caller still ringing through to iPhone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.