Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 4 Volume drops really low a few seconds, then back to normal.

Hi All,

I am having an issue with the Volume on my iPad 4. I had one replaced 3 days before the warranty, but The replacement started doing the same thing. I realized it had to be an app causing it. I had been playing the RoboCop game for a bit and had just beaten it, so I deleted it. The trouble never happened again.

Now, it's doing it again and I'm thinking it must be another app causing it, but I can't seem to find it...and, obviously, it's out of warranty.

Here's what happens:

When I play anything with sound, after about 20 seconds or so, the Volume drops down so low it's almost not even able to be heard. It does this for about 3 to 5 seconds and then it comes right back to normal. It won't do it again unless I start a different video, song, app, etc...

I backed up everything to my MacBook Pro, Restored it to New/Default Settings, then Restored from Backup...it did not help. I also upgraded to the newest Version of iOS 7 when I did that...(Version 7.1.2).

If anyone knows what the problem is or what might fix it, PLEASE Help. It's driving me crazy!

Thank you so much,

Scott

iPad, iOS 7.1.2, iPad 4

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 10:34 AM

10 replies

Aug 28, 2014 11:31 AM in response to spraven

You might want to try restoring as new - without the backup - and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't fix it, you can still restore the backup and you won't lose anything but a little bit of time that you spend restoring again.

Backup again, then restore as new, use the iPad and switch from song to song or from one app with sound to another....whatever you need to do to cause the sound issue again. If the sound issue doesn't come back, then you might assume it's something in the backup that was causing the problem. Start over and rebuild the iPad from scratch.

If the problem does not go away when you restore as new, you can always restore the backup to the iPad again and then take it to an Apple Store and ask them to take a look at it.

Aug 28, 2014 12:00 PM in response to spraven

Vocal alerts display the same behavior while a song or whatever is playing - such as when New Mail, Calendar and Reminders come through. Are you sure this isn't what is happening? First thing I do when I get up in the morning is turn on the shower, turn on my iPad, turn on my Jambox and select my morning playlist. The first song invariably gets stepped on multiple times as queued up email from the night before begins arriving.

Aug 28, 2014 4:23 PM in response to Demo

Thanks for the Advice, Demo! I'll give it a shot, as soon as I can pry my MacBook Pro out of the hands of my wonderful wife, who told me just after I bought it that she'd just stick to her Laptop and Windows because Mac's OS just was too weird! I was like "YES!!!" at the time...then her Laptop crapped out and she had to use mine...now, suddenly she won't ever use a Windows Machine again and she's keeping mine when I can afford to buy a new one! Go Figure! 😮

I appreciate your reply and will report on success or failure...eventually! LOL

Mar 28, 2015 5:43 AM in response to spraven

I'M having this very save issue. It happens on most video playbacks at ~20 seconds in. I don't have this issue on other devices, only my iPad. The volume then comes back up on its own, but disappears at that same spot, even if I rewind the video or start the whole thing over. this is NOT an alert popping up. It is very repeatable. I notice it no matter what the video source is (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.). Is nobody else having this problem? I find very few forum entries on this problem, so I'm thinking it is not common, but definitely happening out there on a number of devices. Maybe most people just aren't noticing it or aren't as completely annoyed by it as I am. Hopefully somebody has a real fix for this (other that restoring the iPad).

Jun 29, 2015 12:29 PM in response to spraven

Solved it on my iPad Air, at least for now. Not a hardware problem. Just a bug in some video code(c?) used in many if not all Apple devices, as it occurs on iPhones, iPods, and all kinds of Macs as well as iPads and iPad minis.

• Under Settings/Music, turned on Sound Check.
  • Soft re-set (hold home and on/off button until screen goes black)
  • When it restarts, go back to Settings/Music and turn Sound Check back off.

Jul 10, 2015 9:11 AM in response to spraven

I Have an ipad mini first gen for two years now all great until a few months ago, when the volume just dropped by itself, and i would press the volume and its all the way up... I have to always restart it to make the volume work normal again.like i would be listening to music, a text or notification would pop up and volume goes down and STAYS down.. Not like 20 secs like u guys. i got tired of restarting the ipad, so i would just leave it like that, then one day after a while, not 20 seconds or 5 minutes... I got another notification and the volume went up to sounding normal...so what i do now is just text my ipad everytime my volume goes down, to make it sound normal again. Now its a new thing happening, when im watching a video on facebook or youtube, and i would pause it or switch another video, or even enlarge it, the volume goes down and stays down, like i said, NOT for 20 seconds... Sometimes the texting myself fixes it but not always. And its getting ridiculously annoying! i havent tried that restoring to new thing, because i have bought apps from appstore, and you know "diamonds" from within games, and i dont know if i can get them back if i restore as new :/

iPad 4 Volume drops really low a few seconds, then back to normal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.