Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Install Windows 8 on secondary Hard Disk

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro 17" i7 2,2 Ghz (early 2011 OSX 10.9.4) equipped with a 750 Gb Samsung SSD and a Secondary 750 Gb Toshiba HHD mounted in place of the Original Laptop's DVD optical Drive.

I've tried several times to Install Windows 8.0 into the Secondary HHD Drive (USB KEY created with a Windows 8.1 Iso Image through the Bootcamp assistent) but without success. This is the message at the end of the Windows 8.1 installation process:

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I've tried Everything but now I Don't Know what else to do!!!

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 12:02 PM

47 replies

Aug 28, 2014 3:11 PM in response to calojer

I've tried again with no succes!!!! 😠

Before begin to install Windows I've tried this on the Toshiba HDD :

1) pressed Shift + F10 to open the command prompt.

2)Typed Diskpart, pressed Enter

3)Typed List Disk , pressed Enter

4)Typed Select Disk 1 (where 1 is the number of Toshiba HDD), pressed Enter

5)Typed Clean, pressed Enter

6)Typed Convert GPT, pressed Enter

7)Typed Exit, presse Enter.

The Installation starts... Windows copies all files... bla bla bla and then

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

I can't Understand the reason of this error! It's seems like Windows is not able to write on the Hard Drive something It Needs to boot Itself.

Aug 28, 2014 4:51 PM in response to calojer

It seems you are attempting an EFI installation.

1. Please erase the Toshiba disk and format the entire disk as Free Space. (This is a GPT disk as well).

2. Do not use Diskpart.

3. I have W8.1 EFI installed on a late 2013 rMBP. There are EFI firmware issues with older machines. Some of your hardware may not work correctly with an EFI installer.

4. Select EFI boot and let the installer create the MSR and Microsoft Basic Data partitions as necessary.

If it does not work, please post back here. There are some issues with the second SATA connector. There is a second option, but thisshould be tested first.

Aug 29, 2014 5:25 AM in response to calojer

First Of all Loner T, Thank You for your precious Help.

I've tried again and again this morning.... but with No Successs 😢

I've spent so many hours this week tryin' to find a solution and I'm very frustrated.

I've also tried to follow this interesting post, but nothing changed:

The ultimate way to install Windows 8.x in (U)EFI mode on Apple systems

This is what I've done a few minutes ago:

1) pressed +alt button and this is my startup:

User uploaded file

- Mac SSD is the Osx Mavericks Disk

- EFI boot (I don't know what it is but If i select it the Macbook boots into Max Osx just like the first option)

- Recovery

- EFI boot (ORANGE) Is the Windows 8.1 USB KEY created through Bootcamp Assistent.

I've selected EFI Boot (ORANGE)

User uploaded file

The Windows 8.1 installation Begins...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I've selected the Unlocated Partition on TOSHIBA Hard Disk

User uploaded file

Everything Seems to go in the right way but... at the End:

User uploaded file

Unable to Install Windows 8 on secondary Hard Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.