Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"An internal error occurred." while installing Itunes

Windows 7, 32 bit, all window updates installed, in fact, the latest were installed today before I noticed my problem.

When attempting to update itunes, I got this error:"An internal error occurred." at the point of "updating component registration" .

I uninstalled Itunes restarted windows, attempted to install itunes afresh and the same thing happens.

I then remove all apple programs, restart windows, install itunes -- Same thing. I get "An internal error occurred." four times, each occurring at the "updating component registration"

Any clues. Problem with the windows update?

Never had a problem in the two years I've been using itunes.

Jack

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 5:32 PM

5 replies

Aug 29, 2014 3:01 AM in response to Jackmay52

Exact same problem, I started a new topic earlier which can be merged or deleted, sorry about that. I said I had a 64 bit, but it's actually 32 like Jack's. I've been through all of the other pages but I'd deleted itunes, bonjour etc., probably not in order before I read that it was important to delete them in a specific order. Don't know if that's the issue but I think I've followed the steps on related pages. Bah.

Sep 3, 2014 7:11 AM in response to Jackmay52

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Sep 6, 2014 7:35 AM in response to Jackmay52

Got iTunes going! Here's what I did:

I followed all of the directions cited in the "second box" referenced above. Tried installing itunes again and got the exact same response "An internal error occurred".

I remember reading something about my problem may have something to do with a corrupted user account and started to go down that path. Right after creating and logging into the the new user account (also had admin privileges), I downloaded iTunes. Voila! iTunes installed!

Curious, I "switched" to my original user account, found the iTunes icon (thought it was deleted during the "second box" effort).

Found desktop icon (thought they were removed with above operations) and double clicked. Response was: Please wait while windows configures iTunes.

iTunes came up!

Looked normal with all of my information.

Went back to the new user account and logged off.

Returned to my user account. Still looked normal.

Tried synching my iphone 5. No problem.

Looks like I'm up.

Thanks for all of the advice. Not sure which steps might have been superflous, but glad I'm running.

Hope it works for you,jrl2320and Lincolnlad.

Jack

"An internal error occurred." while installing Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.