Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad stuck - getting the "waiting for IPad" restore in never never land

Pretty strange stuff, had the IPad for three years, no problems, last week it started shutting it self off, full power off that is and would only restart by holding both power buttons for about three minutes. (yes the battery appears good) (yes the software said it was up to date)Now it won't restart at all. Plugged into ITunes, it has sat connected for two days now, apple and progress bar present and ITunes saying its waiting for the iPad. Oooookayyyy, so will leave it connected for a couple of weeks and see if anything happens ??? I guess ?? There are lots of hints to try different things but the iPad will no longer turn on unless its connected to my mac and iTunes.... any body have any ideas ??? went to two apple recommended repair stores in calgary alberta canada, two stores told me they had nothing to do with the produces from apple, soooo why are they listed as repair depo's ? Travels to these fake sites has cost me hours of driving for nothing, looking through these web pages again reaps nothing, there are no local repair depos in my area and none can or will touch the iPad.

almost makes a person feel like they have been scammed ... or is it just me being toooooo sensitive. Words of advice anyone ? Or should I just go buy the competitors product .....

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2, broken

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2017 11:04 AM

I know this thread is old, but I just got this problem today and I found a way to solve this. I tried many third party programs but none of those worked for me. At first, as sceptic as I am, I did not believe that this program would work, but it did. It's called ReiBoot and with the free version I was able to revive my iPad 2 from recovery mode/dark mode. You just need to download it and enter the recovery mode, then I don't know how, but my iPad just turned on the home screen display. I hope this helps,

Carlos

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2017 11:04 AM in response to randyfromokotoks

I know this thread is old, but I just got this problem today and I found a way to solve this. I tried many third party programs but none of those worked for me. At first, as sceptic as I am, I did not believe that this program would work, but it did. It's called ReiBoot and with the free version I was able to revive my iPad 2 from recovery mode/dark mode. You just need to download it and enter the recovery mode, then I don't know how, but my iPad just turned on the home screen display. I hope this helps,

Carlos

Sep 3, 2017 9:54 PM in response to randyfromokotoks

This is an old thread, but I wanted to reply in case someone has the same problem as I did. The solution for me was making sure I was signed into the correct apple ID. I have one and so does my husband, when I was experiencing this problem my computer was signed in under my husbands iTunes. Once I switched it to my iTunes it worked fine.

Aug 29, 2014 3:23 AM in response to randyfromokotoks

Rather than letting the iPad just sit there connected to the Mac, I would eject the iPad, quit iTunes, restart the Mac and then try again. I would also suggest restarting the iPad, but it sounds like that's a nightmare to do, but I would try starting all over again. I would even try different cables, another USB port or another computer.

Aug 29, 2014 7:47 AM in response to Demo

Hi

Nope done this all several times, different cables, un plugged 20 or 30 times, rebooted the mac its plugged into at least 10 times, result is the same, iPad displays the apple with the bar under it and stays that way, this is now day 4 sitting like that, no errors, no warnings. Even when it did restart in the past there were no errors, software was up to date, no issues with anything I could find. I think its sad that resolution to an issue is so difficult to find and where are the service people for this product ?

After trying everything 10, 20 , 30 times, over the past several weeks I have lost a lot of faith in this product.

Thanks

Aug 29, 2014 8:24 AM in response to randyfromokotoks

I understand your disappointment, but even Apple products have problems and can go bad. It happens with other manufacturer's products every day in the real world. That doesn't help your situation and I realize that, I'm just making a point, that's all. If you are saying that feel that you've been scammed by Apple, that's way over the top, IMHO.

The only thing that I can recommend now, and you won't like it, is to contact Apple directly and send the device in for repair, or at the very least, get their take on it.

Aug 29, 2014 9:25 AM in response to randyfromokotoks

Hey I appreciate your help, i am over 50 years old and have used mico soft products since invented, thought i would try a mac and iPads this time around. I have never experienced a product over the last 30 years that was so hard to get fixed, I think thats the issue here.

No harm no foul, but people should know what they are in for when buying this product, if I had known this i wouldn't have spent 4ooo dollars buying this product. Simply said, I am older, expect service, not issues on top of issues.

Appreciate you being a sounding board here. I have made an appointment to talk to someone at a Apple store now, Maybe I am just a grumpy old guy !!

Aug 29, 2014 9:38 AM in response to randyfromokotoks

Believe me when I tell you that I do understand the frustration. I have had my fair share of products that went bad and for one reason or another turned into "the worst decision that I ever made" kinds of things. I wish that there was something more that I could offer. Maybe somebody else has another idea and they will chime in with some sage advice. I don't know what else to suggest.

And oh, BTW, you are a good bit younger than I am and there are a number of users that participate here in the ASC that are a good bit older than me. With age, comes wisdom - and crankiness! Or so I have been told. 😁

Good luck with Apple. I hope it all works out for you!

Aug 29, 2014 10:07 AM in response to randyfromokotoks

iPad: Unable to update or restore

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4097

iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

If you can’t update or restore your iOS device

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

iPad Stuck in Recovery Mode after Update

http://www.transfer-iphone-recovery.com/ipad-stuck-in-recovery-mode-after-update .html

iOS: Apple logo with progress bar after updating or restoring from backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3681

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Sep 16, 2015 2:27 PM in response to randyfromokotoks

FYI... I am getting that same message and symptoms as my iPad attempts to update to iOS 9. As well, I am of the same age and experience with computers. I have serious doubts about how well Apple has been keeping up with their QA.

At this point, my most recent phone purchase was an Android. I no longer trust Apple products to 'just work.' They no longer do, and I am kind of sad about that fact.

I might or might not buy and iPad Pro. I was very seriously interested, but not so much after the iOS 9 update failure. This kind of QA failure has become too too familiar over the last year.

They keep adding features, yes, but don't really seem to make sure they work.

Please Apple, whoever is out there, I beg you: fix bugs first, *then* add features. And then don't skimp on the QA. Seems like you are only spending time on the add features step, much to the loss of your product quality.

Doug

Sep 17, 2015 8:26 AM in response to DarkHuntress

I can not speak for Randy. I have called Apple. I have been to the Apple store briefly. Basically the only option seems to be a full wipe (factory reset).

I have been trying to do that, but it hangs as well. iPad=brick at this point. I may try leaving it all on overnight next.

Am using an iPad 2 on a windows 10 system. My guess is the jokers at Apple never tested this *not* uncommon configuration.

PS. Windows 10 update went off like a charm. On a couple of systems. That were entirely ancient and I had no reasonable expectation it would work without a hitch. But it did A-OK, first shot and it was up and running,

Apple is slipping.

I am also totally pleased with my new Android phone (ASUS Zenfone 2), and have found it to be reliable. And it's getting regular OTW updates without a hitch. Technology I can count on.

The Apple iPad product, on the other hand, has cost me more than its purchase price in lost time and lost billing. I can not see buying a new one at any price given the current high time and frustration cost of ownership.

Doug

IPad stuck - getting the "waiting for IPad" restore in never never land

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.