Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PPPoE issues - time to ditch the AEBS I think!

When I bought the AEBS (5th Gen) there were a couple of things that interested me about it over and above the (suggested) improved wifi performance. One was its ability to set up a Guest Network and the other was ease of configuration for access control etc using the Airport interface. Sounded good but of course for these to work you need to have the AEBS in NAT/DHCP mode. And there's the snag because come what may I cannot connect to my ISP here in Malaysia through a modem in bridged mode (and I've tried a few!!) and the AEBS in PPPoE mode.

Whether it's Apple's particular approach to PPPoE or the fact that the ISP here, TM Streamyx, is behind the times (likely!!) I don't know, but it just doesn't work. Other devices can access the net with the modem in bridge mode a PPPoE credentials entered, just not the AEBS.

All in all I'm not that impressed with the AEBS and certainly wished I'd been able to 'try before you buy'. The device is not cheap and for what exactly? A The main benefits of the device I can't use and the wifi performance I find not much different to the modem / router supplied by the ISP. Difference now is I have two boxes in the mix instead of one (the AEBS and a Modem).

There is a part of me that thinks that with the AEBS I'll likely have fewer issues with wifi using the iPhones, iPad, Mac and Apple TV but I'm not sure that's me trying to convince myself that the cost of the AEBS was money was well spent and perhaps trying to convince myself to stick with the two box / aesthetically pleasing white box solution. But I'm not sure it is any better?

I'm pondering it more now because I was tempted to upgrade to the 6th Gen but, as the PPPoE protocol it uses won't have changed, and I doubt I'll realise the blazing performance improvements that the AEBS allegedly gives, if I do spend again I think it'll be time to look at alternatives, and go back to one box.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen)

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 12:08 AM

6 replies

Aug 29, 2014 2:52 PM in response to TechAddict

Just a comment really..

Apple build their products with the aim of being easy to use for the less than adequately technically proficient.. (non-nerdy types). Sadly this means a lot of functionality essential to the operation of some setups is missing. PPPoE is actually not as easy as it seems.. it can be caused by ISP using a peculiar setup (we have one of those in Australia where 90% of the reported pppoe problem occur).. and some router manufacturers have been forced to make special firmware for this particular company. But most routers have enough controls that you can change using PAP or CHAP authentication for instance.

Apple reveal none of this. Not even logs now..

I cannot use a Apple router with a bridged modem for my ISP either.. it does link but continually drops. Others (on different ISP) find it works properly.. or not at all. There is nought you can do about it. The airport is simply unsuitable for your setup.

There can be some other options. half-bridge or DMZ spoofed IP which can work, but most give you no improvement over the existing modem's router function. And make the setup more complex. The problem is across the board, so changing to v6 hardware will not help.

The Airport does work well in bridge itself.. or in static IP mode.. which is how I use it.. but guest network is killed by doing it.. you will need to use your modem's wireless as guest.

Sep 18, 2014 10:52 PM in response to LaPastenague

I wouldn't go so far as to say the AEBS in unsuitable for my set up IF you're content to use it in bridge mode. I have a feeling the problem wiith the PPPoE handshake is down to TM Streamyx. Not a massive issue but clearly it limits the usability of the device, esp using the Aiport Utility to configure MAC address controls etc. it is also a pity that Apple saw the need to dumb down the Utility so much esp as 5.6 will not run under Mavericks.

I may well end up moving the AEBS to the apartment in Thailand (where I'll try it first). Given that I don't notice any noticeable improvement in wifi signal with the AEBS over the crappo router supplied by the ISP I'll likely revert to that and a one box solution.

May 7, 2015 10:11 PM in response to TechAddict

I manage to use my supplied modem/router as bridge and AE as PPPoE.

1. Assuming that your ISP is TM, go into your browser and type 192.168.1.1

2. Log into your router setup using quick setup. Just follow the instructions to set your router to bridge mode. disable wireless if you have the options but if the option was not there its ok. Just click next until it is fully setup.

3. Next log into your router again but this time use the advance setting. From here u may disable the wireless if you have not yet disable it.

4.next this is crucial.Look for LAN settings. Under LAN disable dhcp.

5. Set your AE and put in your username and password.

This steps is proven working for supplied Innacomm w3400v6.

Good Luck

May 19, 2015 4:12 AM in response to Raynner

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Spent ALL afternoon trying to get this to work, hours and hours. But cannot connect. Tried 3 different modems all no good. Even tried the EXACT device (Innacom 3400) you refer to, no go.

Set it up in Bridge mode, disabled WAN and DHCP server. Set up AEBS from factory reset, filled in pppoe name and password, update and nothing Dead. 2 amber light errors reading on the AEBS when you click on it. One says 'No DNS Servers' and the other 'No Internet'.

So in short I have absolutely NO idea why this isn't working given that I've gone through EXACTLY the steps mentioned. But having spent almost yet another day trying to get this to work I'm gonna call it quits and give up. Life's too short. It simply shouldn't be THIS hard. Any other ISP I've tried to connect the AEBS to, including 3 in Thailand. No problem, enter details, bang. Straight through. TM and here in Penang. Cannot!!!

PPPoE issues - time to ditch the AEBS I think!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.