Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chapter marker thumbnail pin

According to the FCPX 10.1.2 User Guide (pg.153) a thumbnail pin associated with each chapter marker allows to select the image that will show up in the exported menu for that marker.

Well, after adding the chapter marker I find the pin in the timeline, I move it to select an image but: 1) nothing changes in the FCP X viewer, which does NOT show the selected image, and (worse) 2) in fact nothing happens in the exported movie: Share/Export File (added) with Format: computer, Video Codec: H.264 Faster Encode, Resolution 1920x1080.

The export fully works, all chapters are there in the right position, but each chapter is associated with the frame under its marker, NOT the frame I selected for it using the pin (which lays ignored on the frame I chose...).

Well: almost "fully" works: it can be played only by Quicktime X, not Quicktime 7. Not a big issue. And probably this has nothing to do with the pin problem...

Is there a way to make it work as in the user guide ?

Thanks

Piero

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), FCP X - Canon HF M56 PAL

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 2:56 AM

18 replies

Aug 29, 2014 4:50 AM in response to Russ H

Thank Russ.

Thumbnails: I'll wait for my eventual update to 10.1.3 (btw: is it safe or not ? i read bad news in this forum...).

About QT7. There are some exports I made from FCPX that do not open in QT7 and a message is displayed (translated from Italian) "Impossible to open this movie - it contains an invalid sample description", while they open no problem in QTX. Since I didn't do much work yet in FCPX I didn't collect many cases. In my experience for sure one export without chapter markers opens in QT7. All others with chapter markers generate the above message.

Thanks

Piero

Aug 29, 2014 5:12 AM in response to PieroF

PieroF wrote:

Thumbnails: I'll wait for my eventual update to 10.1.3 (btw: is it safe or not ? i read bad news in this forum...).

There are inevitably problems with updates. Some of those turn out to be specific to certain configurations and a small number (usually) will be universal. Since we are know in an era of download-only installs, I believe everyone should heed Apple's best practices advice.

While this doc describes preserving events and projects, the same principles apply to libraries. If you think you may need to revisit a library, it should;t should not be updated.

And it should go without saying that updating while in the midst of a project is always risky.

That said, I haven't found 10.1.3 to be particularly buggy. But for whatever reason (knock on wood) my experience since 10.0.3 has been relatively smooth.

Getting back to QuickTime 7, I have also run into that message occasionally. Try exporting with the markers/thumbnails with the Apple Device preset and see whether it opens, It should.

Russ

Aug 29, 2014 5:44 AM in response to Russ H

Well... I just ran into a spinning ball - FCPX stuck immediately after a new share! I had to force quit and reload...

Not very stable, FCPX, after 3+ years!

I fully agree for the best practices you suggest. Thanks for mention them.

May I ask a different question (OT): how can I Export a .mp4 movie with audio 44.1kHz instead of 48 kHz ? I have the feeling a problem of disappearing audio when watching these movies on my Samsung TV (on Maceverything is OK) is related with the audio data rate. I'd like to reduce it to the (more standard ?) 44.1kHz, but I cannot find a way... I always get 48 kHz, even when the project is 44.1kHz, except with Master file, which however is not .mp4...

Sorry, I'm using this forum as a chat... probably I'd better open a new topic.

Thanks

Piero

Aug 29, 2014 5:57 AM in response to PieroF

If you have Compressor 4.1, you can make a custom setting with 44.1 audio and choose Compressor Setting from the share menu. If you don't have C 4.1 and don't want it, then you'll need to recompress it in something like MPEG Streamclip (or an earlier version of Compressor). Not sure whether running the file through Streamclip will preserve the chapter markers. That will need to be tested.

Russ

Aug 29, 2014 6:34 AM in response to Russ H

Not working for me. I export a master file in H.264. The poster frame in the marker is the frame under the marker not the frame under the pin. If a marker is in mid-transition that's what I get. If the marker is on a frame of black and I move the pin a few frames before I get the black frame in the QuickTime marker list, notice chapter at 0:10 and 0:14.

User uploaded file

Aug 29, 2014 6:57 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

Haven't tried every setting by any means but he pin location seems to be respected in the h,264 mp4 and movs that I've tried.

DVD menus, OTOH, don't display anything except text.

One thing I don't get at all is what Piero described with QT7 refusing to open some files with markers. I ran into this as well. Also, MPEG Streamclip refused to open them.

Russ

Aug 29, 2014 7:11 AM in response to Russ H

Thank Russ,

I thought that this could be handled directly by FCPX with the Share/Export File, like in the old FCE/P (Export/Using Quicktime conversion...).

Anyway since I don't have Compressor so I tried with MPEG Streamclip.

Now, it seems that movies unrecognized by QT7 are not recognized also by MPEG Streamclip ! but this is somehow to be expected since I guess MPEG Streamclip uses (old) QT libraries...

So I'm stuck, unless I buy Compressor ?

Thanks

Piero

Aug 29, 2014 7:18 AM in response to Russ H

Just tried a few exports.

This is what I'm getting:

.m4v Shred to Apple devices actually show the thumbnail under the pin, Wow, works as the designer intended. 🙂

.mov Master file on the other hand shows the Marker frame, not the Pin frame. 😟

Quicktime 7 shows the Marker text and NO thumbnails.

Streamclip shows Marker text and NO thumbnails.

Al

Chapter marker thumbnail pin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.