Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic - not seen by iTunes - a theory

Friends, Romans, people from Scunthorpe,

Like others, I have an iPod Classic 160Gb which cannot be seen by iTunes 11 (MacBook Pro) or iTunes 10 (G5 Powermac). If connected via usb to either of these machines it cannot be seen no matter what, and doesn't charge. However, if I plug the iPod into the mains charger, it will charge up.

Interestingly, well, to me anyway, I also have an iPhone 4 which cannot be seen by iTunes but will charge if connected to the mains charger, in similar fashion to the above.

What the iPhone and the iPod have in common is that both have been charged extensively in the car, connected via usb into the cigarette lighter. So, my theory is that the battery is somehow at fault, and my thinking is that if I change the battery on my iPod then all will be well.

Thoughts, advice, opinions, large amounts of cash appreciated....,

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), G5 Dual 2.3 10.5.8 iPod Classic

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 1:50 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2014 2:32 PM in response to Community User

Hey Simon Murray,

Thanks for the question. After reviewing your post, it sounds like you have an iPod classic and an iPhone 4 that are not recognized on your MacBook Pro. The first article should help get the iPhone recognized.

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591?viewlocale=en_US

This second article should be able to help you get the iPod recognized.

iPod not appearing in iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3716

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a nice day,

Mario

Aug 31, 2014 11:30 PM in response to mario49

Mario,

Thanks for the reply but I've been through all of this and none of it helps with either device. Like I say, this is a new theory of mine, based on the fact that the battery is somehow effected by using the car charger. I will probably change the battery in one or other to see if it makes a difference,

regards

Simon

iPod Classic - not seen by iTunes - a theory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.