Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay stopped working on MacBook Air wirelessly

I have a MacBook Air, iPad2, iPhone 5, and two apple TVs. Up to two months ago I was able to stream from my MacBook Air to my Apple TV wirelessly. Suddenly in midst of a film the connection was lost and I have not been able to get it back. The Airplay icon went missing from my title ribbon and Display Preferences can not detect either of my Apple TVs.

Trouble shooting steps:

1. The issue is limited to my MacBook Air. I have no difficulty streaming through AirPlay from either my iPad or iPhone.

2. I have made sure that I am on the same wireless network on all my devices. Still my MacBook Air is unable to detect my Apple TVs.

3. I have re-set my Apple TVs to their factory settings several times and am still unable to establish a connection between them and my MacBook Air.

4. When my MacBook Air is connected to my network through Ethernet and my Apple TVs are still connected wirelessly to my network, the Airplay icon reappears on my title ribbon and I am able to find and recognize the Apple TVs either through the icon.

5. Even when my MacBook Air is plugged into my network, the streaming is very slow with a patchy picture and intermittent loss of sound. My network is running at 50 Mega and I have no problem with the quality of sound and picture when streaming wirelessly from my iPad or iPhone.

6. When both the MacBook Air and Apple TV are Ethernet wired to the network, streaming between the two is fast and clear. The problems with patchy picture and sound is resolved.

Tentative conclusions:

The wireless ability of my MacBook Air works fine and I tend to use this option most of the time with this device. However, there appears to be an incompatibility between the Airplay and wireless capabilities of my MacBook Air.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this incompatibility?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 5:43 AM

2 replies

Airplay stopped working on MacBook Air wirelessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.