Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I prevent background processes from running?

Ever since I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS7, it has basically become a brick. It constantly freezes, and the home button becomes completely inoperable. People have suggested a number of fixes for the home button problem ("calibrating", tightening screws, etc.) but none of the fixes solved the problem. Through trial and error, I've come to realize that the problem is that the phone doesn't have enough computing power and that too much of its RAM gets used up by background processes, causing the phone to freeze.

I have found an app that stops unnecessary background processes currently running, frees up RAM, and lets the phone function properly (Free RAM 1.3). Once I've run this app, the phone functions perfectly.

However, this clean up only happens each time the app is launched (ie: it does not continuously free up RAM). So, I constantly have to run it (and sometimes am not able to because the phone is frozen and the home button won't work).

When it is running, the app displays the background processes that are running. Looking at the list, there are many processes for which I have no need, such as processes related to automatic checking for app updates, processes related to iCloud (which I do not use), etc. Preventing these processes from running in the first place would go a long way in making my phone more useable (being able to return to a previous iOS would be a better option, but Apple won't allow this).

Here is my question: is there a way to prevent unnecessary background processes from running at all?

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 9:10 AM

8 replies

Aug 29, 2014 11:22 AM in response to Megantic

Megantic wrote:

Ever since I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS7, it has basically become a brick. It constantly freezes, and the home button becomes completely inoperable. People have suggested a number of fixes for the home button problem ("calibrating", tightening screws, etc.) but none of the fixes solved the problem. Through trial and error, I've come to realize that the problem is that the phone doesn't have enough computing power and that too much of its RAM gets used up by background processes, causing the phone to freeze.

I have found an app that stops unnecessary background processes currently running, frees up RAM, and lets the phone function properly (Free RAM 1.3). Once I've run this app, the phone functions perfectly.

However, this clean up only happens each time the app is launched (ie: it does not continuously free up RAM). So, I constantly have to run it (and sometimes am not able to because the phone is frozen and the home button won't work).

When it is running, the app displays the background processes that are running. Looking at the list, there are many processes for which I have no need, such as processes related to automatic checking for app updates, processes related to iCloud (which I do not use), etc. Preventing these processes from running in the first place would go a long way in making my phone more useable (being able to return to a previous iOS would be a better option, but Apple won't allow this).

Here is my question: is there a way to prevent unnecessary background processes from running at all?

Which app is this?

Aug 29, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Megantic

I am unaware of anything that would allow you to selectively choose what to run or not run. Do you have Settings>General>Background App Refresh turned off? You can provide feedback to Apple regarding your desire to see an enhancement of the iOS at http://www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate link.

EDIT: I finally found the app in the App Store after you mentioned the developer.

How can I prevent background processes from running?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.