Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there favorites and bookmarks in Safari?

What is the difference between adding a web site as a Favorite vs Bookmark in Safari on my iPhone? Why is there both and when do I use "bookmark" vs "favorite"?

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 10:51 AM

If you add it to a Favorite, then it will show on a list when you open a new tab in Safari. If you save it as a bookmark, it will only show when you tap on the Bookmarks icon. It depends on how quickly you want to access a certain site. Also, if you are syncing to the Internet Explorer bookmarks on your computer, there is a specific Favorites Bar that populates the Favorites in Safari.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Rob Broadbent

If you add it to a Favorite, then it will show on a list when you open a new tab in Safari. If you save it as a bookmark, it will only show when you tap on the Bookmarks icon. It depends on how quickly you want to access a certain site. Also, if you are syncing to the Internet Explorer bookmarks on your computer, there is a specific Favorites Bar that populates the Favorites in Safari.

Nov 15, 2014 8:03 AM in response to William Julien2

I'm not sure about the operation of bookmarks on Safari, but in Internet Explorer, there is a specific category in Bookmarks called the Favorites Bar. That is what shows up when you open Safari the first time on the phone. If you sync your bookmarks from the computer to the phone, then when you tap on the bookmarks icon on the bottom of the screen, you will see your entire bookmarks list from the computer. You can select any of your bookmarks from there. You also have the option to save a particular website to the homepage of the phone. The only problem with that versus using the bookmarks is the clutter on the homepage that would result.

Aug 9, 2015 12:41 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I wonder why I can't add any more bookmarks.....?? I had a crash so I have a new hard drive with everything new (OS X Yosemite 10.10.4) and I'm not thrilled with the changes. Why don't any of the bookmarks I've tried to add show up in the Bookmarks list?? I see this issue on older operating systems and on iPad, etc. TIA

Why is there favorites and bookmarks in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.