Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Apple TV Screen Mirroring Connection Problems

I have a mid-2011 iMac with the latest Mavericks (10.9.4) and I am having problems trying to connect it to my Apple TV.

The Mac finds the Apple TV and gives me an option to connect to it, but it returns with a "Couldn't connect to Apple TV"

I tried lots of the methods which were written here, but eventually decided to try AirParrot as a temporary fix, but that didn't work either, giving me a "Connection Blocked". Surprisingly, I tried installing AirParrot on my Bootcamp on the same computer and it worked fine.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 11:20 AM

1 reply

Aug 31, 2014 6:42 AM in response to GoldeNugget

Hey there GoldeNugget,

It sounds like you are able to click your Apple TV on your Mac to use Airplay Mirroring but keep getting a message saying that it could not connect. That can definitely be frustrating. Since the troubleshooting steps weren't specified and assuming you've restarted the computer, Apple TV, and router, I would recommend you take a look these troubleshooting steps from the following article to help get that resolved:

iTunes: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5209

1. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes.
    • iTunes for Mac: Choose iTunes > Check for Updates

• iTunes for Windows: Choose Help > Check for Updates
  2. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices' software is up to date.
  3. Verify that all your AirPlay-enabled devices are connected to the same home network.
    Note: Some Wi-Fi network configurations offer a guest network that can block certain Internet services from working or seeing other devices on your home network.

Troubleshooting performance issues

Wi-Fi Connection

If you are experiencing intermittent playback or significant network lag with AirPlay, it could be due to a weak Wi-Fi connection, interference, or the distance between the Wi-Fi router and your AirPlay-enabled device.

• Ensure that other devices aren't trying to stream to the same Apple TV at the same time.
  • Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is set up with the recommended settings for the best performance.
  • Certain external devices, such as microwave ovens and baby monitors, may interfere with a Wi-Fi network. Try moving or disabling these devices.
  • If your wireless and wired networks are the same, try connecting your Apple TV to the router via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
  • Use the Wi-Fi network troubleshooting guide to resolve interference and other issues.

Ethernet Connection

Temporarily disable firewalls (both network and local) and security software. Security software and firewalls may block ports that AirPlay uses to stream content. You can often resolve issues with security software by updating, correctly configuring, or uninstalling security software.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

iMac Apple TV Screen Mirroring Connection Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.