Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change Home Directory name

Problem: I inherited an iMac from my father - v10.9.4. I made myself the new administrator and deleted him as a user. The home directory is still under his name. I suspect this is because when I deleted him as a user, I selected the option "Don't change the home folder - the home folder remains in the Users folder". I did this, perhaps erroneously, to still have access to the files (music / photos) he left for me on the HD.

Goal: to change the home directory name to match my account name yet still have access to the files my father left for me.

I have tried the directions listed in HT1428: OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name. I followed step 1 in the section for OS X v10.7 and later and set up a new, second admin account. Yet, when I log into the new second admin account, there is no /Users folder in Finder. Finder is virtually blank, and no Mac HD icon on the desktop either. So I can't get to the home folder to rename it.

Guidance appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 11:53 AM

Choose Computer from the Finder’s Go menu, double-click the internal drive, and locate the Users folder. If desired, open the General tab of the Finder’s preferences and check the Hard disks box.

(111729)

3 replies

Aug 29, 2014 1:31 PM in response to pmacseattle

As an observation, often it's easier in cases like this merely to make a new user account for yourself and copy over all the files you want from the old account. That way you're sure to get a clean system (without whatever dross might have accumulated over time in your father's account). You can then archive or delete the old account as you prefer.

Can't change Home Directory name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.