Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX partition unbootable after partition resize

I've made a big mistake and would really appreciate any help in solving this one.

I have Boot Camp set up and I tried resizing my OSX partition with Disk Utility to create a 3rd partition that could be shared between Windows and OSX.

This resulted in the Windows partition being inaccessible.

I then found a set of steps on this forum that has resulted in the opposite, I can boot Windows but not OSX.

I've taken some screenshots from TestDisk, if someone could take a look and give a hint I'd be very grateful.

The 1st shows the whole SSD

User uploaded file

The 2nd shows an error on this SSD

User uploaded file

The 3rd shows the next screen.

User uploaded file

If you need any other evidence to diagnose please let me know.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 3:30 PM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2014 3:47 PM in response to Jgillard

Open Disk Utility by booting to the Recovery HD. Repartition the drive back to a single volume:

Drive Partition and Format

1. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

2. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

3. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

4. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security Options button, set the slider for Zero Data to one pass, then click on OK to return to the Erase window.

5. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

When completed quit Disk Utility and return to the Utilities Menu. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Aug 29, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Jgillard

There may be, but from what you said and done it does not appear that the OS X volume is accessible and that the volume's directory is most likely gone. I suppose you might use recovery software or remove the drive and put it in an external enclosure, connect it to the computer and see if a directory is present to access the files. I'm just not sure at this point what options you would have that are non-destructive in the sense that your data are completely recoverable.

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads. Recovery software usually provide trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

To fix the partitions you would need to use diskutil. You would need to know the true beginning sector count and the last sector count, but I am not sure if that alone will do the trick. I'm familiar with the concept of doing this, but have never tried it myself. I'm quite reticent to tell you what to do when I don't know how it's done myself.

OSX partition unbootable after partition resize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.