Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I widen a photo?

I have a photo that is 5715 x 3799. How can I extend the photo width ways in order that I can use it in a wordpress full width slider? Wordpress crops the photo around the image because it is not naturally wide enough for the slider. I do not want it cropped. I believe I need something similar to the "Content Aware" option in photoshop (which I do not have).

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 2:40 PM

10 replies

Aug 29, 2014 3:08 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry

I don't have the exact dimensions of what I need which doesn't help, although my estimate is that the photo needs to be about 25 - 30% wider. I have seen on You Tube that Photoshop has a facility choosing the new required size of an image, and then it works out based on the colours how to fill in the new white space. The image I have would lend itself to that definitely. However it seems from what you say iPhoto doesn't have anything similar. Looks like I need to find a friend who has photoshop and see if they can do it for me. Thanks for your help.

Aug 29, 2014 8:05 PM in response to beverley170

beverley170

according to tthis article == http://wordpress.org/support/topic/slider-image-size-3 == the image size for a slider is 1170x500

Your problem is not the dimensions but the shape of your image - yours is roughly 4:3 like a display. What you need do is crop it. This is likely not what you wanna hear, though.

The way I would do the conversion in PhotoShop is:

1. Image > Image size = 1170 (width) > OK
  2. Image > Canvas size > 500 (height) [choose to crop from center. top, or bottom] > OK == NOTE that this is a crude crop.
  3. I would use the cropping tool and info palette in PShop

(watching the height dimension become 500 pixels -- then move the crop area to taste) > ENTER

Take's longer to tell it or open the image than actually do the job.

Being an old hand at PShop, the only thing I ever use iPhoto for was making a library of photos for my kid to use with iMovie. My old version(iPhoto 2) allows crop by eyeball only. Then to resize, one has to export it and then the aspect ratio one eyeballs is locked. I would say that with my iPhoto version, the task is impossible to do with precision.

The aspect ratio in wordpress is fixed, so you have to adhere to it no matter what. I don't know what the photo is of, but if possible to retake the photo and use your mind's eye to approximately frame the photo to that really wide and short aspect ratio. then the default crop in wordpress may do a satisfactory job.

A pro photographer taught me very early that planning the photo's use is more important than snapping the shutter.

If you are going to be doing a lot of photo (or any image) work, PShop is a good investment.

best luck

CCC

Aug 29, 2014 8:52 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

FYI - you can do exact that in iPhoto - crop to 1170 x 500 and export with a maximum dimension of 1170 - no need for hundreds of dollars in software

If iPhoto will not do what you want for most people PhotoShop Elements is a much better investment doing most of what PS does plus some additional things for a LOT less money - either can be used as the external editor for iPhoto giving you the advantage of iPhotos database approach to managing photos and the editing of PSE (or PS)

as you suspect the problem is likely to be that the OP had more photo than will fit in the required size since the required size is about 2.2x1 - a strange aspect ratio for most photops

LN

Aug 30, 2014 2:10 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Thank you. This is really helpful. I have a friend who uses photoshop and will forward your reply to him to see what he can do with the image. It's actually a photo of me that I want to put on the landing page, and the Wordpress cropping literally crops at the top of my head and the base of my chin. It's a decent photo but that level of cropping is just a bit too much - too in your face 🙂

Funnily enough I talked to the photographer about how could I be sure that the photo would sit within the slider beforehand, but as I hadn't settled on my theme a this point and only had a vague sense that I needed to know how I was going to use the photo first I didn't push on an answer. We just got on with the photos. Hopefully there is a way through this.

Thank you again

Aug 30, 2014 2:21 PM in response to LarryHN

Photo Elements sounds like it's worth looking at because as far as I can work out, with my version of iPhoto - which I have had since I got my Macbook at lease 4 years ago, it doesn't seem to want to let me set dimensions for cropping.

I've been told that WP sliders apparently aren't meant for dropping whole photos in to fill all the slider space, rather they are meant for dropping images within against a slider background, maybe with some text.

Thanks again for your help.

Aug 30, 2014 2:42 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry

Just to let you know I've managed to crop to the dimensions suggested by ChitlinsCC but it's no good as it means that I cut off the top of my head and finish at the bottom of my chin. Much better if I can to see whether something can be 'built' on the end of the photo - create some new white space and fill in the background. The background is out of focus anyway so it might be possible. I'm still going to check out photo elements.

Thank you

Aug 30, 2014 3:16 PM in response to beverley170

bev...........

You need a Plan B.

User uploaded file

This required 3 photos of Amber Heard. Already in 4:3 screen display sizes. 5 minutes in PhotoShop (ANY version LE, CE, CS)

THE most basic functions = New file [1170x500 = wordpress requirement], Image Size, Marquee/Delete, Crop, Drop Shadow Filter, Layers, Flatten, Save As

Pick 3 photos and GO WILD! As many as you like. If you indeed had a shooter take several photos, you are bound to have the raw materials. Your PShop friend will have it done in moments.

Plan C, D etc. - work with your raw materials.

best regards

CCC

How can I widen a photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.