Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Creating Doubles During Import

Hello,

Can someone help me determine why Aperture is creating doubles while importing photos? Within Aperture, the events only show single pictures but there are 2 copies of the same photo displayed within finder. Example:

DC101010.jpg

DC101010 (1).jpg

Some findings:

Happens on new files never imported and on files I've imported before (creating new events the 2nd time and unchecking "do not import duplicates")

Removing the file with a "(1)" in the name does not affect Aperture

The 2 files are identical in dates and size, with preview showing the same picture

Creating a new test library and importing did not fix the problem

Any ideas? Thanks.

Aperture 3.5.1

OS X 10.9.4

iMac

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Aperture 3.5.1

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 5:13 PM

5 replies

Aug 30, 2014 12:46 AM in response to sammyee

Happens on new files never imported and on files I've imported before (creating new events the 2nd time and unchecking "do not import duplicates")

Why are you "unchecking" the "Do not import duplicates", if you do not want to import duplicates?

DC101010.jpg

DC101010 (1).jpg

Which of the two files are you seeing highlighted, when you use "File > Reveal in Finder", when you select one of the image versions with duplicates? It should be the "DC101010 (1).jpg"

The only way, i can reproduce your issue when importing referenced images, is when I use the Import setting

"Store Files" with the folder selected, where the photos to be imported are currently in and the "Copy files" option selected.

User uploaded file

This will write a duplicate to the folder you are importing from, in the example above in the Pictures folder.

User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2014 11:02 AM in response to léonie

I unchecked the box for preventing duplicates just to try things out. It did appear to not affect the issue either way. It is checked again now. When I reveal in Finder, the first file is the one selected. I ran a test and the duplicate files appeared on the first import. I will play with the checkbox you pointed out and see if it causes any differences. Thanks for looking into this.

Sep 12, 2014 12:35 PM in response to sammyee

Resolution: Change the 'Backup Location: Backup To' setting to 'None'

http://images.macworld.com/images/article/2011/08/screen-shot-2011-08-03-at-1.03 .10-pm-248837.png

http://www.macworld.com/article/1161525/understanding_aperture_importing.html

Backup Location: This feature allows you to send your master files to two separate locations during the import process. Once you enable Backup Location, you need to choose which connected hard drive will be used for the second set of masters. This is a nice feature for those who want to erase their memory cards right after import.

Aperture Creating Doubles During Import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.