Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect iMac to LG HDMI TV

iMac mid-2011. Trying to connect to LG TV with HDMI. I have tried direct HDMI to HDMI cable, which is supposed to work but does not. I have tried using the mini-display connector. It still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do?

Posted on Aug 29, 2014 6:21 PM

5 replies

Aug 29, 2014 10:49 PM in response to rkaufmann87

The Belkin was the first thing I tried. Then the Moshi Mini-Display port. Neither one has worked. Both should be plug and play, not happening. I go to the Displays in System Preferences and click Detect Displays and it comes back with "can't detect additional display because there isn't one."

I want to use the TV as a second monitor, not as a way to watch movies, by the way.

Aug 29, 2014 11:29 PM in response to Raschella2013

I am not sure what you are doing wrong, however Apple clearly explains how to connect an external display in OS X: How to use multiple displays with your Mac in Mountain Lion and earlier and OS X Mavericks: Connect multiple displays to your Mac I noted both because you have not stated the version of OS X running on your iMac. You should also try another HDMI cable and ensure the TV is set to the correct input. I'm sure that's all that is wrong, is somewhere you are not following directions, have a problem cable or input set on the TV.

connect iMac to LG HDMI TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.