Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my older mac pro original leopard 2007

installed snow leopard amonth ago I have a newer model 17 inch 2011 running mountian lion got that on sale refurbished from apple thank god!! I hate windows but if a mac goes you need a mac to get your stuff and $$$

I keep the 2007 running and charged and use it relatively once a month to keep it going and store stuff. I do have time machine and use it and external hard drives as mass storage devices as you can see I have suffered loss and now am OCD about storing things. This was before cloud and before I had broad band as I live in the country.

the usual way it goes when it goes. yesterday fine next will not wake. push power you hear click whir of drive starting then nothing no grey screen, no keyboard push caplock no light. remove battery put back in nothing check battery full charge (back of bat button all five lights) tryed power few more times no start ding nada. Let it sit over night powered off Start again click whir some more whir and get start up ding YES! NO I did get keyboad (press cap lock and light lit up but that as far as it went. did command option esc to hope to close anything open but not sure any message went through

So reset SMC X2 nothing put it down for 2 hours came back

followed instructions to Reset NVRAM & PRAM got one ding and nothing. All this time I had a black screen and power light nothing else

I am leaning to HD because of the lack of drive sounds when power button is pressed.

Is it the hard drive?

I may try and replace this HD.

1. My question the Screen dead?

2. Can I put a Solid state drive replacement in this old a mac book?

3. are my old time machine back ups done on leopard still there? or are they overwritten by snow leopard?

like 6 months ago time machine back up was on leopard then 2 weeks ago they were made with snow leopard.

4. could update to snow leopard have done this?

MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 10:09 AM

6 replies

Sep 5, 2014 7:05 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your help. I accidentally discovered it was overheating. I tried everyday to get it to power up. Then yesterday it had been sitting on a glass to table overnight powered off I pressed the power button and it came on bang backed itself up and downloaded an update for snow leopard installed it then promptly died. It led me to check heat as cause. This sounds a little bizarre but, I stuck a bag of frozen peas under it and let it cool down. It is now running fine with an ice pack under it. It performed a time machine back up and I also moved files to a multi-media storage disk for safe keeping.

So is it a fan or a bad battery is now my question.

Apr 19, 2015 11:13 AM in response to leroydouglas

I wanted to let you know the final resolution because you were so kind to answer me. Our lives got very complicated and I never got back to 2007 mac until last month. I never was able to get it to boot again with or without frozen peas so I had to resort to service. I found an independent company called MacService in CA. They send you a box and turn around is very good. It turned out to be a logic board problem ($599) but it is fixed now. They have great support and answer questions immediately both before and after service. Warranties are also good. I upgraded to 4g RAM and got a 240G SSD.

I was going to update to Yosemite but both Apple and MacService talked me out of that because of processing speed. So I upgraded the 2007 to MT Lion to match my 2011.

The plan is my husband is going to us the 2007 if I can tear his PC (that he hates) away you know how change is. He uses an ipad so the switch should not be too bad.

I have a new problem now I own both iwork 08 and 09 disks the 09 will not run at all on the 2007 and the works 08 installs but templates do not open properly and some you can not enter writing into cells or on pages; oh the joys of computers. We use numbers all the time and pages so want to share documents between machines can't do it if it does not work. I will be getting back to Apple support because I am still under protection for the 2011.

Again thanks

my older mac pro original leopard 2007

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.