Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs on iTunes skipping/jumping

using MacBook Pro os x mavericks

I have had this issue a few times now, I have purchased new CDs and came home to import them to my iTunes library straight away. They import perfectly fine but as soon as they're finished importing to library, I go play the album and a few of the songs skip or jump (like when you play a scratched cd in a CD player)

though the cds are not scratched.

I am using the external USB super drive to import as the MacBook has no cd slot built in, I thought maybe I was bumping or moving the super drive while the disk was importing and this may be effecting songs being imported properly so I deleted the albums and imported again making sure the external super drive was not moved but there is still 1 or 2 songs playing up.

is anyone else having this issue or know what it is? Thank you

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 6:01 PM

Same problem. Songs will abruptly skip to next track, typically in last minute of song. When replaying the song, it will skip every time in exactly the same place. Files play perfectly in other apps like Quicktime.

Happens with new songs purchased both via itunes store and Google Play - all have been downloaded, not ripped, so not a problem with disc quality or ripping process. (Might happen with older songs too - haven't tried to listen to my older music lately.)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2014 6:01 PM in response to GraceElizabeth3

Same problem. Songs will abruptly skip to next track, typically in last minute of song. When replaying the song, it will skip every time in exactly the same place. Files play perfectly in other apps like Quicktime.

Happens with new songs purchased both via itunes store and Google Play - all have been downloaded, not ripped, so not a problem with disc quality or ripping process. (Might happen with older songs too - haven't tried to listen to my older music lately.)

Sep 3, 2014 7:29 AM in response to GraceElizabeth3

I'm experiencing the same problems. I am running the most current versions of all software etc. but some songs, while playing on iTunes on my Macbook Pro, will skip to the end of the song at the exact same time every time it's replayed. If I scrub just past the time where it skips it plays all the way through. I've tried reimporting and converting the file same problem. When I import the songs to my iPhone 5s they play fine and all the way through. If I play them one any other music player Quicktime, VLC, etc. they play fine. Songs are all stored on my main HD. Start and stop times are correct on all songs. Would love to find a solution to this as it has been an ongoing issue I've been experiencing.

Apr 21, 2015 8:03 PM in response to GraceElizabeth3

I have a rather large library on a WD external drive. The drive itself is fairly new and doesn't seem to have any other issues. I'm on iTunes 12.1.2 and OSX 10.10.3 on a Retina iMac.

This is happening to me as well. I imported a bunch of albums that came as zip files from download cards that are included with records, and they all skip to the end of each track at the 2:37 mark. I typically listen on other devices using iTunes Match, but when I went straight to the source, I noticed the skipping. So, I can't really say how long it's been happening. The uploaded batch prior to the one that caught my notice also skips at the same point. The files play fine in Quicktime.

All the content in the File tab of the songs seems normal. A standard encoding was used (by the manufacturer), the track length listed is accurate, and the start and stop times are were not altered. Again, these are audio files coming directly from the record labels via their download cards. And, they are different labels - Hardly Art (aka Subpop), Merge, and In The Red Records. All skipping at 2:37.

When I attempt to convert the files to AAC, the generated files are 2:37 in length - unless of course, the track is less than that length to begin with. Here's a screenshot showing the conversion in action along with another showing the original files.

Original:

User uploaded file

Mid-conversion (note they're all being converted to 2:37 in length):

User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2015 10:12 AM in response to Joe Rose

I've done some more troubleshooting and have some additional details to add.

1. My girlfriend put the mp3s into her iTunes on her Macbook Air and they play fine which confirms it's not the MP3s
  2. I've diff'ed the iTunes copy of the MP3 with the original version of it straight from .zip extraction and they are identical so nothing is changing to the file itself when it's importing into iTunes and copied to my external hard drive.
  3. Additionally, I've:
    1. removed the songs from iTunes
    2. closed iTunes
    3. verified that the songs are purged from the iTunes Library.xml file
    4. Added the songs back to iTunes
    5. verified that the songs are added back to the iTunes Library.xml file with the correct length values
    6. The exact same behavior returns

Here is Chastity Belt's Drone mp3 as it appears in my iTunes Library.xml along with the diff between it and the original (none reported).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 26, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Joe Rose

I have the same issue with iTunes on Yosemite using iTunes Match.

Some albums I import and match will suffer from this issue and skip to the last second of the song around the 2:37 mark. The files are not corrupted and play back just fine in other players/devices. They will even work with iTunes by manually skipping past the magic 2:37 mark.

This is ridiculously annoying as it affects the core functionality of iTunes and I have had no success in trying to find out what causes this and how to fix it.

I have a feeling it has to do with iTunes Match. I will probably go back to managing my library manually with only local copies of the songs since Apple Music/iTunes Match is even buggier on iPhone. 😟

May 7, 2016 11:24 AM in response to GraceElizabeth3

This same annoying problem has been happening to me since early 2013. Tracks will skip somewhere in the last minute of the song.

The one important thing to note is that this ONLY occurs with mp3s I purchased from Google Play.

Every other music player plays the songs all the way through.It feels a bit sketchy like Apple is intentionally trying to make users think something is wrong with other music services' music. I eventually gave in to Apple sometime later in 2013 and started going back to purchasing through iTunes, but for that brief period of time where I switched to Google Play - its only in that bag of songs that some (not all) have the problem.

Also, @xJohnyyx, I don't use iTunes Match, so I don't think it's that.

Songs on iTunes skipping/jumping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.