Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

capture video from old unsupported tape and camera

I have:

FCP X 10.1.3

Hi 8 tapes and camera

VHS and SVHS tapes and camera

JVC GY-DV5000U camera and mini DV tapes

Firewire cable

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

These tapes and cameras are unsupported in FCP X 10.1.3.

How can I capture (import) the video tape segments onto my Mac OS X version 10.9.4 so that I can edit the video in FCP? Are there special procedures or products that are needed?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 12:15 PM

18 replies

Aug 30, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for your help.

From what I've read, since my cameras do not have device control in FCP, FCP will not import the video, although it might appear to do so. I do have a Canopus ADVC110 device with Firewire that can be used with the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. That will allow analog input and firewire output. My Mac does not have Firewire ports.

I can not tell if FCP will allow manual playback into FCP so that FCP will "import" it. It appears that FCP will not do that.

I am willing to do manual capturing if there is a viable way of doing so thereby saving the video in a format that FCP can use. I'm not sure how to do that.

Aug 30, 2014 6:52 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for your response.

None of my tapes have timecode. Only the JVC camera is DV with mini DV. The others are legacy cameras; i.e., Hi 8, VHS, and SVHS. Since none of them has device control, I don't understand how to import them (formerly captured in old versions of FCP.) According to "Help" within FCP, it reads "Your camcorder or camera must be compatible with Final Cut Pro." That's why I said it appears that FCP does not allow for manual capturing (importing).

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2014 8:35 PM in response to legvidal1

"The others are legacy cameras; i.e., Hi 8, VHS, and SVHS. Since none of them has device control, I don't understand how to import them"

These are all analog formats. They are not digital. Computer based video editing applications only work with digitized video. You can do what Al said and use a device that can convert this media to a digital format allowing the computer to capture it, or you can dub the material to a digital tape format like DV and use FCP or QuickTime to capture the digital tape.

Did you not read the section of the compatible camera page that said

Final Cut Pro X is compatible with most MiniDV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats, which use a FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.LINK) cable to transfer video.

Sep 1, 2014 8:37 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom. I did read the section about FCP X being compatible with most Mini DV tape camcorders. However, I also read that according to "Help" within FCP, it reads "Your camcorder or camera must be compatible with Final Cut Pro." In this case the camcorders and Canopus are not compatible with the latest version FCP X. The section you quoted also mentions FireWire which my Mac does not use. That's another reason why I ordered a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. All this implies that I can't "import" or "capture" analog data into the latest version of FCP X.

That's why I'm looking for a way to get the video into FCP X.

Sep 1, 2014 8:57 AM in response to legvidal1

All this implies that I can't "import" or "capture" analog data into the latest version of FCP X.

We seem to be at cross purposes. The JVC camera is a DV camera, right? You can capture from it (unless you use a rocketfish adapter). I suggested one solution for capturing your analog media is to dub it to DV. Others have reported that the Canopus box works to capture analog media into FCPX. There are other hardware options. Not sure about Elgato for this, but Black Magic should work and they have there own software to capture. You can then import it into FCP.

Sep 1, 2014 8:57 AM in response to legvidal1

You have all the hardware you need.

For the analog tapes, connect the camera to the Canopus and connect the Canopus to your mac using the TB-Firewire adapter.

Use Quicktime Player to record (File->New Movie Recording). Like has already been said, you'll have to start/stop the camera manually.

For the DV camera, you can record to FCP X directly (never mind the list of compatible cameras; try it out!).

However, I would also go with QT for this one. The reason is that FCP X will break into separate clips for each break in timecode. You may end up with tens of clips for each tape.

capture video from old unsupported tape and camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.