You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't turn off Voiceover. Screen is locked and will not recognize my password because Voiceover ads letter to it.

How can I turn off Voiceover when screen is locked and will not accept my password.

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 3:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 9:03 AM

HI there, I had the same issue with an iPad and I found a solution to your problem. I am sure this will work for an iPhone, too. Here is what you need to do.

Touch and Tap (T&T) - Use one finger to touch and Hold down the item needed and use another finger from the other hand to Tap to enable that item.

1. Slide to Unlock > Use three Fingers to Swipe to get to the Enter Passcode / Password screen

2. You will need to Use both hands for this.

3. Press any digit with one finger and hold it on there and with your other hand use another finger to touch anywhere on the screen. Repeat this until either your passcode or password is entered correctly.

4. You will need to Touch and Tap until VoiceOver is off.

5. Touch and Tap Settings > Touch & Tap General > Touch and Tap Accessibility > Touch and Tap VoiceOver to Off.

6. If the Touch and Tap does not Turn off VoiceOver then keep reading.
7. First Touch and Tap to make sure Siri is Enable

8. Hold the Home button down until you get Siri.

9. Tell Siri "Siri Turn Off VoiceOver"

10. Now your iPad or iPhone should be working.

20 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2015 9:03 AM in response to stag27

HI there, I had the same issue with an iPad and I found a solution to your problem. I am sure this will work for an iPhone, too. Here is what you need to do.

Touch and Tap (T&T) - Use one finger to touch and Hold down the item needed and use another finger from the other hand to Tap to enable that item.

1. Slide to Unlock > Use three Fingers to Swipe to get to the Enter Passcode / Password screen

2. You will need to Use both hands for this.

3. Press any digit with one finger and hold it on there and with your other hand use another finger to touch anywhere on the screen. Repeat this until either your passcode or password is entered correctly.

4. You will need to Touch and Tap until VoiceOver is off.

5. Touch and Tap Settings > Touch & Tap General > Touch and Tap Accessibility > Touch and Tap VoiceOver to Off.

6. If the Touch and Tap does not Turn off VoiceOver then keep reading.
7. First Touch and Tap to make sure Siri is Enable

8. Hold the Home button down until you get Siri.

9. Tell Siri "Siri Turn Off VoiceOver"

10. Now your iPad or iPhone should be working.

Sep 29, 2017 2:59 AM in response to stag27

Just had the same proble, don’t think I’ll ever turn it back on lol. When you try your passcode keep your first number pressed in until you see the code screen change then double tap your first number then keep depressed the second number of code then follow on that process until full code entered.

Then into settings and change voiceover to off, and never turn back on again 😉

Oct 17, 2016 4:04 AM in response to Demo

This is the one which worked for me. Stag says hold and tap. Actually tap the number then double tap on the screen. When you get back into the phone go to accessibility and turn off voiceover. You will have to do the tap/double tap routine until you are through. It is very scary particularly as you don't want to permanently lock yourself out of the phone by using up password attempts

Aug 30, 2014 5:15 PM in response to stag27

Enter Passcode

1. Turn on iPad

2. Tap "Slide to open" once and double-tap "Slide to open" again

3. Passcode Screen

4. Tap the first code once and double-tap code again

5. Tap the second code once and double-tap code again

6. Tap the third code once and double-tap code again

7. Tap the fourth code once and double-tap code again

8. Home Screen

Aug 30, 2014 5:16 PM in response to stag27

Turn off VoiceOver

1. Press the Home button

2. Tap Settings.

3. Then double-tap Settings.

4. Tap General.

5. Then double-tap General.

6. Use three fingers on the screen to scroll to Accessibility

7. Tap Accessibility.

8. Then double-tap Accessibility

9. Tap VoiceOver

10. Then double-tap VoiceOver.

11. Tap "On" next to VoiceOver

12. Then double-tap "On" to turn it off.

Jan 20, 2016 6:52 PM in response to ocspeedracer

Thank you so much! I am stuck in the middle of no where's without any apple or computer stores. Hay River, NT, Canada I heard that voiceover could read any text out loud so decided to try it. Well, it locked me out. It would not recognize my password and the the restore feature through itunes couldn't be done without deactivating the "Find iphone" feature. Needless to say that since I couldn't put in my password, I couldn't deactivate Find iphone, nor could I turn on Siri and tell her to turn off the Voice over.

I then used my Ace card: Geeksquad protection which we purchased with the ipad. I could not believe it when they told me they couldn't help and that I would have to bring it in to a store. The nearest store is over 760 km away! Grande Prairie, AB, Canada What good is that online protection then?

So once again thank you so much!

can't turn off Voiceover. Screen is locked and will not recognize my password because Voiceover ads letter to it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.